Create an account

Poll: What brightness level (cvar: r_hdr_scenebrightness, menu: Intensity in Settings/Video) do you want?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0.5 or less
66.67%
4 66.67%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
33.33%
2 33.33%
1.1 or more
0%
0 0%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
"Dark"zone

I've seen Darkzone has made a return. Big Grin

It is perhaps however, well... not dark enough. It all just seems overlit. Can we just turn the lighting down a bit? The feeling isn't quite there.

In addition I'm not sure the current music quite fits in with that map for deathmatch. The map is too small and enclosed to have music like that.

Discuss.

Edit by divVerent Wrote:I replaced the poll by one for your preferred target brightness level.

The old poll results were:

Poll: What do you think of the revised Darkzone?
Darkzone is too light 6 42.86%
Darkzone is correct brightness 5 35.71%
Darkzone is too dark 0 0%
Mutually exclusive polls are stupid 3 21.43%
Total 14 votes 100%
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Mutually inexclusive polls are stupid
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

I've seen two Dark Zone maps for Xonotic actually. One of them looks like something from the cryo pyramids area at the end of Escape from Butcher Bay, the other one looks like it was evolved off of the original Quake map with and given a more Quake 2 style look. Personal favorite out of them though is probably the one from Nexuiz with Quake-styled one being pretty close to it.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Well, I'm guessing talk is about the one now included in autobuild.

Personally, I loved the Nexuiz one too. And I do think "Stairs" theme is becoming overused (which does prompt my interest in playlists in the first place). But those gaps in the walls with items in them are quite nifty idea, I must admit.

Darkzone should be... darker. It could do with a really deep atmosphere.

If you really want to have it darker, you could play with the in game settings! Smile

Rename the map Xon-zone.
bye / bad luck and have boredom

(03-03-2012, 06:02 AM)rocknroll237 Wrote: Darkzone should be... darker. It could do with a really deep atmosphere.

+1

the RGB stuff cause that brightness
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

But why isn´t it then adjusted? I heard that the reason is something about making it easier for identifying your opponent which sounds rather confusing to me as the players and weapons glow and therefore are noticeable. Well I heard it which doesn´t mean that it´s true... anyway, it really should be darker! Man, this map looks anything but professional at the moment!

I just think that map looks awesome Big Grin

Maybe it would be good to or rename it, or make it a little darker. But imo it just looks fricking awesome!

It is a good map and a very good reinvention of the old classic but I do just feel the lighting needs to be turned down a bit. That's not a major rework as it should be able to be done when compiling the map. Not a major change but maybe just -20%.

Oh and I noticed that in the small corridor in the rocket launcher room the glass windows seem to be weapon clipped. This would make fighting in it a bit weird as the projectiles just dissappear.

(03-03-2012, 04:40 PM)edh Wrote: Oh and I noticed that in the small corridor in the rocket launcher room the glass windows seem to be weapon clipped. This would make fighting in it a bit weird as the projectiles just dissappear.

you know that this happens with projectiles at all teleporters ?

(03-03-2012, 04:48 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: you know that this happens with projectiles at all teleporters ?
But it isn't a teleporter. This is the glass corridor that goes outside in the corner of the upstairs of the rocket launcher room.

Okay, then let's work on finding out the ratio to change the brightness of the map. Then I can apply it.

I am editing the poll in the main post to ask for the setting you guys want.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

I played a bit with the settings, here some examples of how things look:

This is the best I could make with some random playing with settings:
(Brightness 0, contrast 1, gamma 0.70, contrast boos 1, saturation 2, ambient 1.50 and intensity 1.

[Image: xonotic20120305100535-00.jpg]

Default settings and r_hdr_scenebrightness 1:

[Image: xonotic2012030510220700.jpg]

Default and r_hdr_scenebrightness 0.9.

[Image: xonotic2012030510245300.jpg]

Default and r_hdr_scenebrightness 0.8.

[Image: xonotic2012030510250200.jpg]

[Image: xonotic2012030510251300.jpg]

[Image: xonotic2012030510252400.jpg]

[Image: xonotic2012030510253400.jpg]

That isn't default, it is with bloom, bloom makes things brighter.

The map indeed is optimized for normal preset, not for ultra.

We probably need to code some darkening for when bloom is active.

And can you find good settings for it with bloom without using gamma?

Having played around with this maybe this is not the right settign as although it fixes darkzone nicely, it screws up other maps.

How about just changing this when compiling darkzone at the q3map2 -light phase? Just change ambient to 0.5 in there?

suggestion 1
[Image: ejn33ygj.jpg]

suggestion 2
[Image: r69wt57e.jpg]

That's why I asking for r_hdr_scenebrightness changes only. These can be applied easily to the map build.

(03-05-2012, 09:02 AM)Cortez666 Wrote: suggestion 1
[Image: ejn33ygj.jpg]

suggestion 2
[Image: r69wt57e.jpg]

How were each of those achieved? They both look much more in keeping with the Darkzone tradition. Very nice.

suggestion 1 was an old version from the autobuild server:
-bsp +
-light + -bounce 8 -dirtscale 2
-vis +
-minimap +
Version: 1

suggestion 2 was my original
+ fast
+ ambient occlusion

(03-05-2012, 10:42 AM)Cortez666 Wrote: suggestion 2 was my original
+ fast
+ ambient occlusion

+1 for the second suggestion, very well done, Cortez.

Mepper's suggestions are unacceptable. Sorry.

I still would use the second compile of Cortez´ suggestions. Just looks way better. r_hdr_scenebrightness doesn´t really do the job well...

I like Cortez's first suggestion more, the lava especially looks better.

And Justin, those pictures weren't my suggestions, but just showing how the options in the poll look.

But however CubeOwl's version already looks awesome, no real need to change things.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] Music submission: Archer - Dark Horizon HellYeah 10 11,632 11-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin