Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is there a good how to for skyboxes ?

I tried Following the one for Alien Arena produced by a fella named carter of carter productions but to no avail his version of netradiant seems to be a lot diffrent than the one i compiled from xonotics git lab.

So what I am asking is, is there a xonotic specific one i can look at or follow ?.

Any help would be appreciated, the map i am working on is taking longer than i thought.

Thanx in advance Kamakazi (Russell)

*/* update */*
I tried using the skybox entity and it made all of my walls disappear for some reason also when working with transparent textures and stuff i cannot get the surface inspector to show anything like in the youtube videos concerning transfactors or skyboxes at all. I am really stumped as to where all this stuff is, or is it just for alien arena only or do i have an outdated version of the netradiant editor ?. I am so confused by all this stuff just when I think i got it, I don't Sad

Thanx again for any help that my come from this post.

Kamakazi

For regular skyboxes you can simply ignore this skybox entity. It is used for something different.

Creating a simple skybox is easy. Just paint the sides of the brushes with a skybox shader and you get the desired effect. I made a short video, have a look:

[How To] Basic Skybox (mp4)
[How To] Basic Skybox (webm)

The "ceiling" will then look like a sky ingame (and actually is one). Some things you should keep in mind:
  • The brush with the skybox shader is still clipping players,
  • but does not clip weapon projectiles. Those are "absorbed", meaning grenades and rockets won't explode on it.
  • The "skybox effect" is created by the shader, not the brush structure!
Happy mapping! Smile

(04-12-2016, 12:08 PM)Maddin Wrote: For regular skyboxes you can simply ignore this skybox entity. It is used for something different.

Creating a simple skybox is easy. Just paint the sides of the brushes with a skybox shader and you get the desired effect. I made a short video, have a look:

[How To] Basic Skybox (mp4)
[How To] Basic Skybox (webm)

The "ceiling" will then look like a sky ingame (and actually is one). Some things you should keep in mind:
  • The brush with the skybox shader is still clipping players,
  • but does not clip weapon projectiles. Those are "absorbed", meaning grenades and rockets won't explode on it.
  • The "skybox effect" is created by the shader, not the brush structure!
Happy mapping! Smile

okay I understand now Maddin, I thought it was like UT2004 and needed special handling but now it is more like the original Unreal or UT1999 they make their skyboxes in this fashion. but what confused me was the Alien Arena Videos, it uses netradiant as well but its surface inspector has options that xonotics version simply does not have and its handling of skyboxes is more of what i am used to but since it is this simple i should have seen it right away but did not Sad.

but thanks for clearing that up for me You guys have been great with all of the help, I am surprised people are not flocking to this game in droves. it has all the qualities gamers / modders could want open and freely moddable it is great.

Kamakazi

(04-12-2016, 06:58 PM)Kamakazi Wrote: I am surprised people are not flocking to this game in droves. it has all the qualities gamers / modders could want open and freely moddable it is great.
The advertising campaign of this game hasn't been very ambitious so far. Somebody decided to not do it properly until Xonotic hits version 1.0, but I don't think it would make any difference. All the subtle things that are still missing from Xonotic (things that are possible to do) are mostly things that your average gamer wouldn't even know that is missing.

Even if some kind of campaign was launched, this is a free and non-profit game - all the budget for that would have to come from the community and there's a limit to how much anyone can invest on a non-profit project. There's not enough innovation in this game either so it's not like we can depend on an inspirational minecraft like reputation either. In any case it's gonna be hard to meet the expectations of modern playerbase size.

(04-13-2016, 03:00 AM)Smilecythe Wrote:
(04-12-2016, 06:58 PM)Kamakazi Wrote: I am surprised people are not flocking to this game in droves. it has all the qualities gamers / modders could want open and freely moddable it is great.
The advertising campaign of this game hasn't been very ambitious so far. Somebody decided to not do it properly until Xonotic hits version 1.0, but I don't think it would make any difference. All the subtle things that are still missing from Xonotic (things that are possible to do) are mostly things that your average gamer wouldn't even know that is missing.

Even if some kind of campaign was launched, this is a free and non-profit game - all the budget for that would have to come from the community and there's a limit to how much anyone can invest on a non-profit project. There's not enough innovation in this game either so it's not like we can depend on an inspirational minecraft like reputation either. In any case it's gonna be hard to meet the expectations of modern playerbase size.

I would hardly call mine craft "inspirational", i have played it and chocked the experince up to lego ripoff for adults. it truly has no point at all the only reason anyone plays with it is becuase it is simple and mindless makes a great distraction for kids but not really what i would call a "game".

well modern players are strange anyways, unless the graphics are like real life they are not happy or cut scenes galore, which to me makes no sense you pay a lot of money for a damn game it had better not be 90% looks, 8% cut scenes and 2% game play !. to me that is the problem with todays games not enough play time just sitting there watching cut scenes and getting an achievement for doing it ! WTF talk about false sense of accomplishment game companies seem to make players want that more than the game itself.

no matter what this game will always have a space on my Mac Book Air Smile, I enjoy it a lot, Even though I suck at it right now but I am slowly getting better at it. Most of time right now is put in to developing a map for it been trying to iron out the details, but i am getting there slowly.

I just hope no matter what happens that no one gives up on this great game, I myself discovered it purely by chance and have been hooked on it since the first day and that was the day I signed up for the forums, I just think it could use a revamp in the campain mode is all but I really can't point at what others would call the games "Flaws" because i am not an experinced programmer so i cannot fix them. But i am staring to ramble sorry old excited gamers tend to do that lol.

in short I just want to let team Xonotic and its community of artists, musicians, programmers and models makers know that i appreciate thier efforts and enjoy this great game a lot.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making really awesome space skyboxes poVoq 2 5,241 06-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Last Post: poVoq
  why cod4 looks so good hutty 23 17,934 06-09-2012, 12:30 AM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Blender - Any GOOD md3 exporters for 2.55? Minkovsky 3 6,155 02-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Last Post: nowego4
  Collecting opinions about good competetive Duel-Map WTFProoF 33 31,337 01-07-2011, 07:48 AM
Last Post: Strahlemann
  Some skyboxes by me :P BARTUC 19 28,227 12-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Last Post: unfa
Photo DM Layout - is it good? Minkovsky 11 10,574 10-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  High Res Skyboxes Cuinnton 32 34,018 08-31-2010, 10:56 PM
Last Post: Roanoke
  Are you good wit da photoshops? MintOX 15 13,995 06-30-2010, 08:51 AM
Last Post: MintOX