Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Map] G-23 (WIP)

So, it's been a while since I posted one of my mapping projects up on a forum for various reasons... But, here goes.

G-23 Space Loading Dock

It's a space-rust tech looking sort of 1v1/2v2/small DM map.

The map has a simple kind of back story. It's actually one of several Space Loading Docks, and its ID is G-23. You and your "expert" team of soldiers have docked it with the intention of retrieving a package and using force if necessary. Well, your expert team forgot to leave a man in the spaceship... So after some dock workers heard some some gunshots, they up and left, using your spaceship as a way to leave. What do you do now? Of course, you argue with your team and fight about it. You've got plenty of weapons, right? Fight it out. And, of course, there's always that one stupid sane guy who says "GUYS WE CAN SETTLE THIS!" He gets killed first.

This map is still very much a work in progress, so I want constructive criticism on how to make it better.

To view and play on the map properly, you need to grab Xonotic from GIT, do ./all checkout mookow/map-g-23 && ./all update-maps. If you're too lazy to do that last step you can grab it from http://141.2.16.23/~xonotic/bsp-autobuil...t/g-23.pk3. The textures on the map aren't visible in Nexuiz but you can still get a view of the structure of the map without the textures.

Last but not least, screenshots:

[Image: dt-1112806935647.png] [Image: dt-412806935642.png] [Image: dt-512806936894.png] [Image: dt-15128069368915.png] [Image: dt-1612806937044.png] [Image: dt-512806937059.png] [Image: dt-112806937223.png] [Image: dt-11128069372314.png]
Mapper.

(08-01-2010, 03:15 PM)Moo Wrote: So, it's been a while since I posted one of my mapping projects up on a forum for various reasons... But, here goes.

G-23 Space Loading Dock

It's a space-rust tech looking sort of 1v1/2v2/small DM map.

The map has a simple kind of back story. It's actually one of several Space Loading Docks, and its ID is G-23. You and your "expert" team of soldiers have docked it with the intention of retrieving a package and using force if necessary. Well, your expert team forgot to leave a man in the spaceship... So after some dock workers heard some some gunshots, they up and left, using your spaceship as a way to leave. What do you do now? Of course, you argue with your team and fight about it. You've got plenty of weapons, right? Fight it out.

This map is still very much a work in progress, so I want constructive criticism on how to make it better.

To view and play on the map properly, you need to grab Xonotic from GIT, do ./all checkout mookow/map-g-23 && ./all update-maps. If you're too lazy to do that last step you can grab it from http://141.2.16.23/~xonotic/bsp-autobuil...t/g-23.pk3. The textures on the map aren't visible in Nexuiz but you can still get a view of the structure of the map without the textures.

Last but not least, screenshots:

[Image: dt-1112806935647.png] [Image: dt-412806935642.png] [Image: dt-512806936894.png] [Image: dt-15128069368915.png] [Image: dt-1612806937044.png] [Image: dt-512806937059.png] [Image: dt-112806937223.png] [Image: dt-11128069372314.png]

why does the dl link not work, btw looks awesome

(08-01-2010, 03:52 PM)kay Wrote: why does the dl link not work, btw looks awesome

My bad, it should work now... And thanks, I hope it looks even better in first person for you.
Mapper.

I had already played on this map, and I have to say, so far it is my favorite. Smile
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

Nice signature, Moo. xD

I'll download it and take a look in Nexuiz sans textures. Not quite geeky enough for git yet.

Woot!
Once upon a time, I wrote a forum post. And this is what it said.

Quality work! I have played this a number of times as it evolved and its gets better with each version. Has my vote for inclusion in the final game.
[Image: di-712770583645.png]

Wow, that map looks great!

Just out of interest, is this map designed for Tech Conglomerate? It just sounds a lot like I imagined the map used in the first scene Smile
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

Nice job Moo.

Interesting structure with a cross-like architecture. However, it is a risky architecture because control it may ruin the overall balance of the map.
The outside area introduces a kind of variety.

I roamed only few minutes on it but i didn't find any nex gun.

The map is a bit large for 1v1, but fine for 2v2.

Also, to be included in the final game, I feel that there are (too?) many "disturbing" objects (chairs, cube structures, etc) which may unnecessarily slow down the gameplay.

But nice job so far.
Fat.bot.Slim

Rage_ATWM Wrote:I roamed only few minutes on it but i didn't find any nex gun.

It's in the crawlspace above the boxes in the left upper hallway (when viewed from loading dock exterior) Big Grin
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

(08-02-2010, 01:41 AM)clanclanclan Wrote: Wow, that map looks great!

Just out of interest, is this map designed for Tech Conglomerate? It just sounds a lot like I imagined the map used in the first scene Smile

No, I didn't design it for that. But, if it fits the scene, then you can have it there. Why not?

(08-02-2010, 05:03 AM)Rage_ATWM Wrote: Nice job Moo.

Interesting structure with a cross-like architecture. However, it is a risky architecture because control it may ruin the overall balance of the map.
The outside area introduces a kind of variety.

I roamed only few minutes on it but i didn't find any nex gun.

The map is a bit large for 1v1, but fine for 2v2.

Also, to be included in the final game, I feel that there are (too?) many "disturbing" objects (chairs, cube structures, etc) which may unnecessarily slow down the gameplay.

But nice job so far.

Yeah, I know the cross architecture could ruin balance, but to stop that I have a few small paths out of the way that will be less used by beginners but can be used by the pros to break control in the map. Those consist of the air duct (where you find the Nex) and the conveyor ramp (an entrance to this can be found on the bottom floor of the cross room).

I was talking to Scorpion about those disturbing objects. My stand is that it makes the map feel more "realistic" (as realistic as a space-themed map can get) and adds some extra variables the skilled player has to think about. However, I am willing to move them further out of the way (push the chairs back into their "offices" a tad, maybe move the stray boxes against the wall some more).

Before anyone asks, the Nex is in that airduct (you have to crouch to access it) that connects to two of the rooms. I have it here to keep it from getting into everyone's hands in gameplay. I might make it to where you only have to crouch to get into the duct, but you can stand in the duct itself. Maybe that would make everyone happy?
Mapper.

I think it's fine how it is. I thought it was very clever, the way you did that.

I also figured out that you can use the laser to go DOWN into the conveyor ramp from the fan lift vents. its tricky, but possible. (like wall climbing, but in reverse)
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

(08-02-2010, 09:16 AM)theShadow Wrote: I think it's fine how it is. I thought it was very clever, the way you did that.

I also figured out that you can use the laser to go DOWN into the conveyor ramp from the fan lift vents. its tricky, but possible. (like wall climbing, but in reverse)

It's possible, I do it all the time! Actually, you don't even need the laser... All you need is to jump down the airlift! There's the perfect amount of force in it, so if you jump from the top of the airlift, you'll be able to almost reach the very bottom.
Mapper.

(08-02-2010, 08:53 AM)Moo Wrote: I was talking to Scorpion about those disturbing objects. My stand is that it makes the map feel more "realistic" (as realistic as a space-themed map can get) and adds some extra variables the skilled player has to think about. However, I am willing to move them further out of the way (push the chairs back into their "offices" a tad, maybe move the stray boxes against the wall some more).
I imagine that the "realistic" argument may make sense for a consistent Xonotic global theme. Now, from a "pro" point of view, i feel that these obtscales do not match with a competitve map, where all is based on moving ability. I feel that that avoiding fluid moves tends to smooth all players skills.
Fat.bot.Slim

(08-02-2010, 10:27 AM)Rage_ATWM Wrote:
(08-02-2010, 08:53 AM)Moo Wrote: I was talking to Scorpion about those disturbing objects. My stand is that it makes the map feel more "realistic" (as realistic as a space-themed map can get) and adds some extra variables the skilled player has to think about. However, I am willing to move them further out of the way (push the chairs back into their "offices" a tad, maybe move the stray boxes against the wall some more).
I imagine that the "realistic" argument may make sense for a consistent Xonotic global theme. Now, from a "pro" point of view, i feel that these obtscales do not match with a competitve map, where all is based on moving ability. I feel that that avoiding fluid moves tends to smooth all players skills.

I've always felt that the pro should easily be able to avoid these objects. But, as has already been stated, I'll move them more out of the way.
Mapper.

(08-01-2010, 08:11 PM)julianastein Wrote: Nice signature, Moo. xD

I'll download it and take a look in Nexuiz sans textures. Not quite geeky enough for git yet.

Woot!

Has a hardcore look to it. I don't think EVERY SINGLE MAP has to be smooth and streamlined, I kinda like this bunker style look.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

(08-02-2010, 12:29 PM)Moo Wrote: I've always felt that the pro should easily be able to avoid these objects.
I guess we got a kind of big issue here! Smile

Ok, so let's push your "obstacle" idea further: i propose that every players play on your map with a laptop touchpad, instead of a mouse.
Pros should keep an advantage, right?
But i'm not sure that any pros will like playing like this.
Fat.bot.Slim

I think some maps should have some obstacles in them too to make them different, not every map needs to be 'pro' orientated guys, quite like this map, although the inside feels a little small at time's because only the electro area and beneath is the main area's you can move too then your outside from my first glance but looks sweet anyway. For a FFA map it looks sweet though, and can see how popular it picks up for a 1on1/2on2 map Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

(08-02-2010, 12:51 PM)Rage_ATWM Wrote: I guess we got a kind of big issue here! Smile

Ok, so let's push your "obstacle" idea further: i propose that every players play on your map with a laptop touchpad, instead of a mouse.
Pros should keep an advantage, right?
But i'm not sure that any pros will like playing like this.
Hah, there's something called taking it a bit too far... XD

Of course, Rage_ATWM, I can always keep the models there aesthetically, but make them nonsolid. However, this might cause some other issues like "WTF MY BULLET! IT WENT THROUGH THE CHAIR OMGMOG"

(08-02-2010, 01:02 PM)kojn^ Wrote: I think some maps should have some obstacles in them too to make them different, not every map needs to be 'pro' orientated guys, quite like this map, although the inside feels a little small at time's because only the electro area and beneath is the main area's you can move too then your outside from my first glance but looks sweet anyway. For a FFA map it looks sweet though, and can see how popular it picks up for a 1on1/2on2 map Smile

Would you believe FruitieX wants to propose an even more crammed map? XD

But I can see his side... A more crammed map would mean more action... It might be fun! Big Grin
Mapper.

I think the "density" of the map is fine as is.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

The next working matter relating to this map is the style... Obviously the style would be hard to change to any other sort of style, but do you think it could fit as a Xonotic map with the style it has?

Keep in mind it's still "techy;" it's just also rusty (from years of use in space).
Mapper.

Why would oxidization occur in space? Tongue
I would prefer a cleaner version.

wikipedia Wrote:The rusting of iron is an electrochemical process that begins with the transfer of electrons from iron to oxygen.
No oxygen, no rust Tongue
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

(08-02-2010, 08:32 PM)Roanoke Wrote: Why would oxidization occur in space? Tongue
I would prefer a cleaner version.

wikipedia Wrote:The rusting of iron is an electrochemical process that begins with the transfer of electrons from iron to oxygen.
No oxygen, no rust Tongue

Bah, because I'm a horrible aerospace engineer? XD
Mapper.

(08-02-2010, 08:36 PM)Moo Wrote: Bah, because I'm a horrible aerospace engineer? XD

Lol Tongue don't tell me you bought those cheap iron plates to save money, you know they rust after a little while!

I like the rusty stile though, imo it's nice to have some maps like this one. Plus «we can twist reality into whatever shape we choose». Or characters would die in space and we wouldn't hear a thing from their steps or weapons...

Yes, tankmiche, this is true. When reality is virtual, it's not reality.

I do like the rusty style but this is just proof: It CAN be turned trak5 if really necessary.
Proof Here! Tongue
Mapper.

Besides, the whole place could have been made of used parts. Like recycling. If anyone asks, we could say the rust is actually an implied message, a kind of Xonotic statement regarding environmental responsibility and sustainable usage of natural resources. Wasn't that your intention by placing rusty parts in the first place?
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug [WIP] Aquanica Z(Rus) 15 8,019 12-22-2020, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Z(Rus)
  [Duel] bmn1_b2 (WIP) Beemann 11 8,000 05-27-2020, 02:04 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [DUEL] Graphite (WIP) t0uYK8Ne 15 9,635 05-01-2020, 07:12 PM
Last Post: samiam
  [WIP-b4] KOLOSSUS _para 12 5,839 10-09-2018, 05:13 AM
Last Post: _para
  [WIP]Distortion Justin 35 37,329 08-19-2018, 06:54 AM
Last Post: Notavi