Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New (official) textures/decals?

Hey folks!

Owing to my map (heavy_metal) I had to create new decals and some new effect-shaders. Due to the "Official Shader/Texture Naming Convention" I was forced to edit the decals and effects shader (if I´m not mistaken) to make the new textures workable. So is it possible that they will be add as an official content to the game? If you first want to see what I´ve done then I could post pictures and the shader(s) of course.

Greetings,
Maddin

Sure, why not.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

You shouldn't modify the official effects/decals shader, or any other official shaders for taht matter. To be more precise, that thing is stricktly prohibited!!! It that can cause a mess on servers and end users' systems, it it gets distributed.

The best way is to make new shader files for your map, and follow the naming conventions.
If those shaders+textures are of any good and high quality, and if you release them under GPL, there can be a high chance of being the part of the official game - in case there are any maps that use them (hint: try to get the map in game too Wink ).
For this, somebody has to create a development branch on git based on master, and make a merge request (this can be you too!). If the core team finds it worthy, and the merge is harmful, sooner or later it gets merged into master, and from that point, it'll be part of the official mediaset.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

(07-20-2011, 04:06 AM)C.Brutail Wrote: The best way is to make new shader files for your map, and follow the naming conventions.
Hehe, that´s the actual problem because the naming convention says that the shader file is named like the directory in textures. So in this case it would be "decals", but the shader file "decals" already exists!! So it would be nice to clarify that.

(07-20-2011, 04:06 AM)C.Brutail Wrote: For this, somebody has to create a development branch on git based on master, and make a merge request (this can be you too!).
Ok. So what do I have to do exactly?

Anyway here´s one of the decals:
[Image: arrow01.jpg]
It´s completely made with GIMP by me, Maddin.
And in game:
[Image: xonotic000007.th.jpg]

Like I've already said: you can't use the shader name "decals", because that's an official shader. name it like: mymap_decals.shader. Or something like that.
YOU CAN'T USE ALREADY EXISTING SHADER NAMES FOR THIRD PARTY MAPS.
However, uploading to git only the decals, so they'll be in official, is easy:
First, you have to ask for write permission to git repo (should be fairly easy: http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/...ite-access).
After that, create your branch, , and make your changes to the files you want to modify in the official game,
and upload it: http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/wiki/Git
Don't worry, you can't mess up master, as you don't have write permission for that. So you have to do a merge request.
Once it is proven harmless, the merge will be made.
TADA! You got your job ingame! Wink
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Ok, thanks for the information. But I´m a real noob concerning these things and I only understood half of what the texts you´ve linked to said. I need assistance to do this!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Custom NetRadiant Textures / Textures Not Loading 3agle427 3 3,943 09-03-2021, 01:40 PM
Last Post: HIBANEZ
  Textures: evillair's eU Texture Set Julius 1 1,715 11-27-2020, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Julius
  Textures: Xonotic Items as decals Julius 1 1,922 05-14-2020, 03:03 PM
Last Post: Garux
  Textures: Techy Julius 6 3,387 01-12-2019, 09:05 AM
  Textures: Julius's Light Beams Julius 2 2,370 01-11-2019, 08:30 AM
  Textures: Tabun Decals Julius 2 2,866 12-16-2018, 09:22 AM
  Textures: Nobiax Impacts Julius 0 1,735 12-07-2018, 02:53 PM
  How would i create glass textures? Molnija 2 2,511 10-28-2018, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Molnija
  Having trouble getting transparent textures to work Notavi 5 2,889 07-17-2018, 07:39 AM
Last Post: Notavi
  I need help with textures. [Solved] TapX 5 4,162 05-11-2018, 02:22 PM