Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Wars: Battlecry (Unreal Engine 4)

Hi guys,

Just thought you might be interested in a game (previously a mod) we're making called Star Wars: BattleCry:

It's being made in Unreal Engine 4 and will be a free standalone game which aims to recreate the awesome gameplay you got from the Star Wars Battlefront series but with many more advanced features and far better graphics.

Thanks for taking a look!

rocknroll237 (manager and musician) and the Star Wars: BattleCry team.

Question, why the cryengine 3?

Yeah, why not UnrealEngine 3? Or Darkplaces? Tongue

I just like the ease of use and incredible graphics. Also there are lots of useful plugins for things like Blender.

Same thing for the UnrealEngine 3. Tongue Nevermind.

One thing I´m wondering about is that you don´t seem to have any skills in 3D, 2D Design, etc. (correct me if I´m wrong) and want to lead a dev team. Sounds very strange to me, sorry, but how would you know which decisions to make then?

PS: Don´t get me wrong, I really don´t want to bother you, just wondering about it.

I'm in charge of making sure everything is true to the original game. I've spent so much time playing it that I'm pretty much an expert!

I know it probably sounds strange, but I'm not a total noob and I know how to direct people in making the mod. Tongue

PS UnrealEngine 3 is good, but what's wrong with using CryEngine 3?

cry engine? why cryengine? why not tears-of-joy-engine. btw the I the the unreal engine isn`t REAL oooooohhh

Dude, are you on a spamming trip? o.O
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(05-29-2012, 10:45 AM)Halogene Wrote: Dude, are you on a spamming trip? o.O

yeah sorry about that. got a piece of homework back teach said he couldn`t read it so I`ll have to rewrite the whole essay. I say lame things as a coping mechanism.

@rocknroll237, several things. if you say you want to make a nice mod but you don't have skills, it won't get picked up. Other thing is that nobody wants to recreate old game with fancy graphics. You need a lot of crazy people to do that, and projects with people die too. Unless you can get some modelers/texture designers, or free content from other projects there's no chance.

BTW, apart from SW mods( for battlefont & jedi academy ), I know only about these 4 mods that got completed:
troopers UT2004
galactic conquest - the original mod for battlefield 1942 from which battlefront was ripped off
some cod mod, I don't remember the name
first strike - BF2142 mod - most likely the only surviving one

Your lack of faith is disturbing...

There were a number of projects I was really looking forward to and when they were almost or half finished they all got silently abandoned. I don't think you realize how much work is needed for such total conversion.( even if you knew what were you doing.)

BTW. I do like the idea, but nope.

(05-30-2012, 01:39 PM)frostwyrm333 Wrote: There were a number of projects I was really looking forward to and when they were almost or half finished they all got silently abandoned. I don't think you realize how much work is needed for such total conversion.( even if you knew what were you doing.)

BTW. I do like the idea, but nope.

Yeah, It's pretty ambitious... Everything the team must make has to be from scratch... But, on the brighter side of things, a) there won't be a massive number of maps or assets, b) I've already got some people interested in it (including a mapper) and c) the CryDev community are capable of making some truly awesome stuff.

I'm not in anyway the moving 'force' (Tongue) behind the mod, I'm just the guy who checks everything's in order (like a bug checker). Call me silly, but there's no harm in trying, heh?

I know exactly what you're saying, but I will at least give it a shot. I won't get peoples' hopes up by promising too much either. I'll start small with an Alpha (maybe 2 maps + a few classes) or something and then see how things go from there.

Got 2 people interested so far. Smile

(06-05-2012, 09:28 AM)rocknroll237 Wrote: Got 2 people interested so far. Smile

I really admire your ambition, and would like to support this project, even if it is totally crazy its worth a shot, I would contribute too but I am not that great of a mapper. (yet)

I would love to hear back if something starts brewing.

I've got 4 people interested now which is great!

Contacting LucasArts and getting permission is the most important thing at the moment.

Quote: I would contribute too but I am not that great of a mapper.

No worries, you can still do some other things. I'm hoping we can release a Beta by the end of 2013. By then, your mapping skills should be pretty sharp (depending on how much practise you put in) and you might be able to help create new versions of maps like the Death Star or Hoth! Big Grin

Our mod has now got the green light! Work will begin soon. Stay tuned!

Gl hf

Just a question, why not make a mod for Xonotic? :-)

CryEngine is suitable for my Star Wars mod. Darkplaces isn't (at least not in its current form). Tongue

Well, I've played Star Wars Battlefront, and I think it's quite easy to make Xonotic that way.

1. Create your own balance and slow down the speed, maybe remove bunny hopping.

2. Create a class selection system.

3. Modify the weapons so they act like the Star Wars ones, and also make Star Wars models for them.

4. Create some maps that are like the Star Wars battlefront ones.

5. Create your own server with the mod Smile

(06-29-2012, 07:22 AM)rocknroll237 Wrote: CryEngine is suitable for my Star Wars mod. Darkplaces isn't (at least not in its current form). Tongue

Care to elaborate?

(06-29-2012, 06:12 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(06-29-2012, 07:22 AM)rocknroll237 Wrote: CryEngine is suitable for my Star Wars mod. Darkplaces isn't (at least not in its current form). Tongue

Care to elaborate?

yeah! care to kurwufulwfulbleeewww!!

I got some reasons to switch to making a Xonotic mod instead.

1. Xonotic respect the users freedom, it's licensed under GPL so you can do anything you want with it as long as your content and redistribution are licensed the same way.

2. Xonotic has all starwars weapon you would want already, you just have to change the models, tweak the dmg and fire rate, and maybe removing the secondary fire.

3. Xonotic has vehicles you can tweak so they are like the startwars ones.

4. You don't have to code a new movement system, just tweak the existing.

5. Xonotic got an helpful community.

6. Easy to distribute the mod, just set up a server that auto downloads the mod when someone join.

7. You don't have to make lots of maps, you can just tweak Xonotics maps to fit the mod, and ofc you can recreate starwars maps too.

I can give you more if you want :-)

I wasn't saying that Darkplaces isn't capable. It's a brilliant open-source engine and the community is great!

It's just that:
  • CryEngine 3 has its own incredible SDK and a tonne of useful plugins for things like Blender
  • The engine is easier to use and has proper documentation
  • The AI is much more advanced (essential for a Battlefront mod!)
  • The graphics are superior
  • The engine is better optimised (Darkplaces still lacks proper support for things)
  • There are many more advanced features

Look at these web pages:
http://www.crytek.com/cryengine/cryengine3/overview
http://mycryengine.com/index.php?conid=2

Imo, you can't really compare an open-source engine like Darkplaces (which is actually an amazing open-source engine, there's no doubting that) to a world-class engine like CryEngine 3.

I'm not saying games made with CryEngine 3 are always going to be better gameplay wise, but the tools are there, the documentation is there, the tutorials are there, there's a much wider user-base...

To make a mod of this calibre (we're talking immense land/space battles with f**k loads of action going on), CryEngine 3 is the way to go.

Quote:5. Xonotic got an helpful community.

[Image: 7taa.jpg]

Maybe a little exaggerated but when it comes down to more interesting problems the people who can/got time to help you get rare. Being able to rely on a decent documentation (which xonotic doesn't have yet) helps a lot if you want to make progress with your project.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star Serenity recreated in Quake 3 engine Greaserpirate 3 11,344 06-11-2016, 11:50 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Mario Kart Unreal Engine 4 Beagle 0 3,545 02-17-2016, 03:53 AM
Last Post: Beagle
  Gave the Unreal Tournament pre-alpha a spin, here's my breakdown Lee_Stricklin 2 6,546 03-27-2015, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  New Unreal Tournament frostwyrm333 33 43,526 05-09-2014, 07:32 AM
Last Post: asyyy
  Xoreos: Bringing the Aurora Engine to Linux FutureSuture 0 4,214 08-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Last Post: FutureSuture
  Epic's Unreal - my sound of NaPali unfa 7 9,898 11-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Last Post: unfa
  Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? Mr. Bougo 25 36,761 05-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  misc: game-engine project... BGB 9 10,688 09-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Last Post: BGB
  Star Wars Chryyz 8 10,033 06-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Friskydingo
  Stumbled upon a cool search engine that I like more than Google Lee_Stricklin 6 10,101 03-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Last Post: mood