Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 2.82 Average
Ask your questions about Xonotic here

Why is this game not available in the Ubuntu Software Center? Shame on y'all... losing valuable exposure! Tongue

(09-21-2012, 10:42 AM)bokiseles Wrote: Why is this game not available in the Ubuntu Software Center? Shame on y'all... losing valuable exposure! Tongue

who cares about ubuntu?

also the game is in a beta state
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(09-21-2012, 10:42 AM)bokiseles Wrote: Why is this game not available in the Ubuntu Software Center? Shame on y'all... losing valuable exposure! Tongue

What is in Ubuntu Software Centre is down to Ubuntu to manage, not software authors. If you would like Xonotic in Ubuntu then please volunteer to Ubuntu to maintain the Xonotic package in Ubuntu.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

ubuntu's package manager is valuable exposure (all package managers are )

it nexuiz wasn't in ubuntu's package manager ... I wouldn't know a thing about xonotic ...

(09-21-2012, 01:03 PM)hutty Wrote: ubuntu's package manager is valuable exposure (all package managers are )

it nexuiz wasn't in ubuntu's package manager ... I wouldn't know a thing about xonotic ...

Well, Ubuntu's package manager is Debian's package manager, Xonotic can't be "in" the package manager, it is up to Ubuntu's team though to provide a package for Xonotic in their repositories. They may have had unstable experience with Xonotic, or just haven't heard about it....

just add yourself the repo from playdeb.net and you'll have xonotic in your ubuntu
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(09-21-2012, 02:42 PM)Cyber Killer Wrote: just add yourself the repo from playdeb.net and you'll have xonotic in your ubuntu

Good tip, thanks Cyber Killer.

Although I still think the official Ubuntu repository should have the game as well for better discoverability.

(09-21-2012, 01:15 PM)machine! Wrote: Well, Ubuntu's package manager is Debian's package manager, Xonotic can't be "in" the package manager, it is up to Ubuntu's team though to provide a package for Xonotic in their repositories. They may have had unstable experience with Xonotic, or just haven't heard about it....

that's not how it works.

The developers submit it for inclusion at developer.ubuntu.com

Then it gets reviewed for inclusion.

(09-22-2012, 09:05 PM)s1lencer Wrote: that's not how it works.

The developers submit it for inclusion at developer.ubuntu.com

Then it gets reviewed for inclusion.

Xonotic is only currently distributed as a ZIP archive. There are numerous requests for a Windows installer, a Mac installer, Steam, punchcards, whatever. Right now that just isn't happening, only the ZIP archive will be available for the foreseeable future as they all require additional effort to maintain at a high enough quality and inline with the GPL and other obligations of team Xonotic.

If the Ubuntu software centre does work like this and it can only be setup by the developers then it is not happening in the same way that none of the other installer types are happening.

For those distributions which have their own package managers Xonotic is already included in official repositories and this looks set to continue so long as these volunteers keep up the release work.

I don't get it, darkplaces is already in the repos, this is actually the only entry you get when searching for xonotic in the software center.

But Darkplaces itself, as they say in the description field "isn't useful without game data". I'm currently downloading the 1GB zip file but I can't help but feel this will be redundant. What is critical and would be assessed by the Ubuntu team (or whatever they use to include something in their repos) is the engine itself and as darkplaces states, it can be used with various data sets.

So because half the work is already done (including the engine in the software center) why not go all the way? Other games have gone this road like freedoom and prboom which separates the engine and the assets and allow the engine to be used with other data sets. But both are in the repos.

I said it before and I'll say it again - goto playdeb.net, add their repo to your sources.list and you got Xonotic in whatever ubuntu calls their package manager nowadays.

(or use Desura)
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Xonotic probably does not use the same version of Darkplaces as is packaged in the Ubuntu repos. We use our own branch, which does not include some of the bad stuff that the master branch has. I'm not sure where they get their builds from, but it's most certainly not from Xonotic, so that won't be the right way to do it.

Do what Cyber Killer said, it really isn't that much trouble and it's a usual thing to do for very large packages like that, AFAIK.

Interestingly, the package description for the darkplaces in their repos says you can use it to play xonotic.

I think that bringing xonotic to the USC before 1.0 would be a bad idea, after we hit our flagship release somebody ought to add it to the repos.

(10-03-2012, 10:23 AM)jarreboum Wrote: So because half the work is already done (including the engine in the software center) why not go all the way?

Does anyone want to volunteer to maintain this?

I have been attempting to convert maps to a Valve bsp, for use in source filmmaker, only succeeding in getting it to an un-textured .obj. Is there anywhere I can go from there to get it to a Valve bsp, or, better yet, is there a way that I can get a Valve bsp from the original map without re-texturing it myself? Or is there a way I can open the textured map in blender to just make a movie on the blender engine?
I am Xonotic, and so can you!
Pwnage, a close relative of sausage.
Look how terrible I am:
[Image: 20796.png]

I was also wondering why Xonotic wasn't available in the USC (on ArchLinux, Xonotic has replaced Nexuiz on the "community" repo)
I didn't realize it was still in a beta stage (it looks stable to me Big Grin )

However, most of the Ubuntu packages aren't kept up-to-date, except for security issues or critical bug fixes.
For example, OpenArena version on Ubuntu 12.04 is 0.8.5, whereas latest upstream release is 0.8.8.
I guess a major update could break compatibility with the servers :/

That's why I'll stick with the .zip archive in order to play Xonotic Smile (using PlayDeb is another option)

Well, duh... the biggest problem with having packages in the repos it that somebody needs to keep them up to date. Most ppl when seeing some piece of FLOSS software not in their distros repo create a private repo with it, but they rarely have more than a single version there.

A kind of a better solution is the suse build service which can automatically build packages for many different linux distros (ubuntu too :-P ), but it still needs somebody to write and maintain the build scripts.

Most project devs are busy enough with developing the project, so the packages are usually maintained by somebody else. The main problem is finding that somebody else who will keep with the job for more than a few days :-P.

Okay, I have a (maybe stupid) question about the map Runningman in DM. Big Grin Whenever I play this map in Minstagib, there appears to be a second powerup somewhere "out there".

[Image: 8PwOHl.jpg]

[Image: tmGlJl.jpg]

It seems to be at the same location where the red flag would be in the CTF version. So, I figured it's just a leftover from the conversion to DM. Or is there actually a secret way to get there? Like with the hidden Tuba in Xoylent.
[Image: 13320.png]

Play the map locally, set sv_cheats to 1, and have a look over there using noclip!

(10-06-2012, 03:54 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Play the map locally, set sv_cheats to 1, and have a look over there using noclip!

This ain't Half Life 2 bro... Tongue

Yes, seems to be one of the mega health or armor or strength. The thing is that there are walls build in the map which separate the blue part (for DM) from the red part. These walls only show up when the gametype is DM but still, the red part exists (though it probably isn´t fully rendered).
So some (a mapper) has to set a filter for that item on the red side which only lets it appear in CTF. Maybe you should create a ticket for that?

rocknroll Wrote:
Mr.Bougo Wrote:Play the map locally, set sv_cheats to 1, and have a look over there using noclip!
This ain't Half Life 2 bro... Tongue
Dude, these commands work either and are only to find out what´s the item causing this bug. Tongue Seriously now, I tried using them in a local game but I can´t seem to use noclip though I have enabled cheats. It still prevents you from using cheats... which is nice in some way but not for developers. Tongue

Oh, right, that's the same map used for team matches. Yeah, the powerups should be fixed then, that's a map bug on an official map. Submit a bug report on http://dev.xonotic.org

(Afaik) There will be seperated versions in the next release.
At they are already at the autobuild (runningman + runningmanctf).

hi there,
when you take a quad, the graphic changes into a nice cellshading option, it is possible to have this shading effect the hole time?

lg maiden

Read the description is this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK7_Wndseno

Put the commands in a config file and execute in-game by typing this cmd in the cmd prompt: exec [config name].cfg

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Your Favorite Maps cushinga 6 1,685 03-14-2023, 08:26 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
Rainbow What's your favorite color? Or which color you use in game? Kotangens 1 1,219 09-01-2022, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  FPS Showdown - Go submit your best frags! Smilecythe 4 4,426 02-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Antares*
  Why is your server empth 24/7 slowtwitch 10 8,046 06-27-2016, 10:37 PM
Last Post: end user
Information We want your help Samual 35 35,039 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Leroy
  Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? unfa 147 153,644 06-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Last Post: Wii-Wii
  WoX-BloX needs your help! CuBe0wL 14 11,520 06-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Here's my fair share Scorpion 8 8,167 10-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Last Post: PGP_Qz
  Pythonistas, please raise your hand Dokujisan 13 10,738 10-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Spyroviper
  ITT: post your WASD teams 9 10,695 06-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin