Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newtonian Nightmare - Playtest and suggestions thread

Yo!

For those, who might have wondered where I've been: don't worry, I haven't left the project, or anything, just RL is over my head, and I'm mostly on IRC nowadays Smile

So, a classic, Space CTF aka cbctf1.
git repo:
cbrutail/map-space_ctf

[Image: y8n5w6apjkryii05i3y_thumb.jpg] [Image: 6s0fpgkruityqsok13da_thumb.jpg]
[Image: fgqjxreidmzw92os8ew_thumb.jpg] [Image: 5zo6mvufwwcsxtzf2m0o_thumb.jpg]

There's also an autobuild release at http://beta.xonotic.org/autobuild-bsp/ . Always go for the fullpk3 release.

The map has gone through a lot changes, there are three major ones to mention:
-complete visual overhaul. The map now uses official Xonotic textures, shaders and models. The map now uses the warpzone technology too.
-Shelters against enemy camping
-SIDE objectives!

Here's the deal:
There are two generators on the map per team, that anybody can destroy. They have 500 HP, so they can take a lot of damage. Their health status is indicated by a color tint, if damaged. After death, they'll respawn in one minute.
They provide some twist to the gameplay, as by destroying them you can disable certain elements of the map:

The first generator under the bases powers a killing laser beam, that guards the warpzone under to base, leading to the middle platform. It instantly kills enemy team members, but does nothing to their owner team. If you destroy the generator, the beam is inactivated for a minute, allowing enemy team members to use the warpzone, eg. leaving the base much faster and safer.

[Image: yqdsli6uwjlir5igozp9_thumb.jpg] [Image: t7ylok6iieijms6gsm4_thumb.jpg]

The second generator powers the jumppad on the main platform, leading to the riffle. Only your team can use it, that's indicated by the color of the arrow fx. If the enemy team destroys your generator, your team won't be able to use the jumppad for one minute, so you won't be able to reach the riffle, and your fastest shortcut back to your flag will be disabled.

Please playtest the map. Bear in mind, that FPS might hugely drop, as there are still no LOD models for players, and that'll hog FPS quite much.
I still ask you all to test the map, give please positive criticism, and don't rely on your old experiences about the map, as it has gone through a lot changes, and I expect the map to play a lot differently, as it did in Nexuiz.

Also, divVerent says the teleporters too much look like a Quake symbol, and that has to be changed (sorry morphed Sad ). Ideas are welcomed for a change.

[Image: dzzxbly2pemynagn9bos_thumb.jpg]

Thank you all for your support.

ps: Oh yes, the screenshots were made with fakelight Tongue
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

(10-28-2010, 05:38 AM)C.Brutail Wrote: For those, who might have wondered where I've been: don't worry, I haven't left the project, or anything, just RL is over my head, and I'm mostly on IRC nowadays Smile

Why is the Rocket Launcher over your head? Does that one need refining too? XoP

Wow, some very nice ideas here. If I find some spare time soon I will test this map. Maybe people can put it on the existing Xonotic servers, too? Looks splendid and I really like the idea of having side objectives.

Nice to hear from you again.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

this sounds cool , very good ideas!

good job

(will test asap)

:^

Thank you guys.
I've further improved the map, you should check out the latest version at the bsp build site.

Also, it turned out some crazy ass trickjumps are doable on the map:
Back to the RL platform from the center one:
http://akion.planetnexuiz.de/xonotic/Spacetrickjump.ogv

The most stupid way to attack the enemy base:
http://hrfdesign.com/crap/videos/YOURE_WINNER.ogv

Also, when reporting performance, please post OS and system specs.

niiicee!

http://www.hrfdesign.com/crap/videos/TROLOLOL.ogv
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

FruitieX's first jump by me, in 3rd person freefly:
http://akion.planetnexuiz.de/xonotic/stupidattack.ogv

Ping...

generators don't work, why don't they work??
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

(11-06-2010, 04:29 AM)Minkovsky Wrote: generators don't work, why don't they work??

Thank you for your input.
However, they work, just don't show up for some reason in the pk3 release. Case under investigation.
If they are not working, you must have a very old engine build (6-8 weeks old even).

No, I already discovered they don't show up in pk3. The map looks very nice (I had the opportunity to play the OpenArena version before, but this is HUGE IMPROVEMENT), but I didn't really play too much (but I'll try the bots soon). Feels good with Lee Stricklin's cfg's.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

Ok folks, the generators are now fixed, and I've made some more little tweaks to the map.
http://beta.xonotic.org/autobuild-bsp/sp...4a88a9.pk3

Grab the latest pk3, and please test it!

(10-28-2010, 05:38 AM)C.Brutail Wrote: ...the teleporters too much look like a Quake symbol...

So what? Have you looked at the Xonotic logo recently?

The screenies look great (awesome skybox), downloading now.
Ok tried it, and I think it won't do well on public servers mixed in with other "normal" maps, because people will have no idea about the generators, and go "what the heck?!? why didn't the jumpad work?"

But it would help immensely if the jumpads somehow had indicators if they were working or not. Maybe they would be red if working for red team only, blue if working for blue team only, and green if working for both.

Also I thought you were going to put in a "health spot" (were you stand to get healed over time), but it looks like it got replaced by a mega Sad

New beta build:
http://beta.xonotic.org/autobuild-bsp/sp...5abdff.pk3

And yet again:
http://beta.xonotic.org/autobuild-bsp/sp...b82e4d.pk3

Not being autobuilt anymore? Where is the most recent copy of this, or do I have to build myself?

http://beta.xonotic.org/autobuild-bsp/ne...b26d893c6/
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Yes, the name got changed to Newtonian Nightmare, as Space CTF was blatant.
That pk3 has some missing shader, don't know why though. Investigating the issue atm.

http://beta.xonotic.org/autobuild-bsp/ne...c1b042.pk3

Latest version.

PLEASE PLAYTEST!!!

I promise I will give this a go, I will vote for it when I play ctf again, the taking out jump-pad idea is pretty cool Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Finally managed to get this voted on and played a few times. yay!

Overall map play good imo.

The good
- Visuals a nice tough a bit fps heavy. But its a open map so go figure, nothing much to say abt that.
- Deactivating jumppads are preddy cool. I tough it'd be a major pain at first, but it worked out well in practice.

The bad
- Able to camp center and keep other team from getting anywhere (kill their pad to sniper and have your sniper watch their rl tele). Not sure how / if to solve this.

The ugly
- Bering able to ramp-jump over the jumppad that was supposed only works for other team, not good.

"Able to camp center and keep other team from getting anywhere (kill their pad to sniper and have your sniper watch their rl tele)."

You can hide behind the big force shield on the RL platform, and stear your rocket to the enemy sniper.

true, also takes a a fair bit of team coordination to do.. so not a huge thing.

Recent conversation on IRC revealed that it might be better to put Nex on sniper platform, because the rifle can easily penetrate the shields, leaving almost nowhere to hide if you are seriously hurt. If you're worried that this would be to many cells (easy to stack) then you could replace the Crylink with the Hagar and replace some cells ammo with rockets.

GJ so far. Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Engine: thread handling kingtiger01 0 3,214 11-06-2015, 12:57 AM
Last Post: kingtiger01
  The Vehicles thread tZork 56 54,702 04-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Last Post: Re.Boot
  Question and Rant on the LG and MG changes. GegoXAREN 5 5,577 11-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Last Post: hutty
  Lightning Gun / Machine Gun thread _Subzero_ 56 56,873 08-14-2012, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
Exclamation Map incubator thread: Vociferous CuBe0wL 25 34,097 07-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Last Post: hutty
  The Overkill thread tZork 30 37,386 06-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Last Post: tZork
Lightbulb Suggestions on reforming func_rain and func_snow MirceaKitsune 2 4,407 06-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  More Engine Suggestions - Different Lighting Handling master[mind] 13 15,713 04-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Last Post: Morphed
  Xonotic build suggestions? hellmind 10 13,310 06-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Beefeater