Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DM] x-q3dm13

Hello, here a remake of the old quake3 arena map q3dm13,
I dedicate this Map to Apro a nice guy I played with on xono servers.

The theme is based on a geothermal power plant.
As the other maps I made it is a preview because left some works to do
on it, I will need some help for that.

I had lot fun to play the map with 6 bots at god level but I had
a desapointement on the bots behavior, they dont go in the small
room to get the quad which room can become a fun trap. You have to be verry quick
to get the quad, if the door close you have to wait 4 secondes befor to be
able to reopen it, watch out to be fragged from above if they are players outside!

Do not ask me what the purpose of the barrels is in the theme!
I dont know I got lazzy to design something to justified it.
I am not often at home and it tooks me too much time to
get here. May be I will do something to extend a bit the map
and make a connection, in a far future.

Thank you to C.brutail and to Cortez666 I pick some ideas in their
maps 8bits_arena and strength. Thank you also to mates on IRC
#xonotic where I always found answers to my questions and I always had help.
Thank you also to the artists textures makers, coders, musicians and players.

[Image: tZGk1dQ]
[Image: tZGk1dw]
[Image: tZGk1eQ]
[Image: tZGk2MA]

get the map here:
map x-q3dm13_beta_01 24/02/2012======>New
map x-q3dm13_beta_02 25/02/2012======>add a missing texture for the teleporter
map x-q3dm13_beta_03 27/02/2012======>Big cheminey fixed, Barels stairs removed and replaced, FPS improved a bit, Please let me know if it is better or not.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/mk8ew8

WOW I have to say I REALLY like your design. Will test this map locally, let's hope it gets on public servers for testing, too. Great work on the visuals so far.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Well done! The map looks unique compared to others I've seen and has an excellent layout. I can tell that this is going to be one of those maps that plays very well and looks just as good.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

I love it too. But why are those shadows pixelated? Didnt you compile with Xonotic approved? D:
[Image: signature.php] [Image: DVlpo.png]

First I have to say this map seems to be like you worked a long time on it, very detailed!

But it´s definitely not suitable for Xonotic. The map is more a Singleplayer map than an arena. So gameplay probably won´t be that good in Multiplayer.

One thing you can easily improve on your map is to clip (use "clip" brushes) everything that you don´t get stuck all he time.

Plus you used a "Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast" sound! Tongue Not very GPL friendly... Big Grin

I had a quick run on the map and I have to say REALLY impressive design, visually. I like that a lot.

As for the gameplay I think it could be scaled up a bit so you don't bump into things all the time when moving around, but me bumping into stuff may just be a matter of learning the map. Nevertheless, the map feels a bit too narrow for me, some doorways/passages seem to be thought for walking through them instead of bunny hopping. But the map has an interesting layout, I would have to see in actual gameplay how well connected the areas are.

One little issue I encountered with a warp zone here, when lasering into it from downside:
[Image: tZGlidg]

The doors from the strength to outside open only when you shoot at them first, for going in I see no problem but for going out this can be rather annoying (increased splash damage of many weapons with strength comes to mind).
My Xonstats Profile

(04-25-2012, 07:44 AM)Halogene Wrote: I had a quick run on the map and I have to say REALLY impressive design, visually. I like that a lot.

As for the gameplay I think it could be scaled up a bit so you don't bump into things all the time when moving around, but me bumping into stuff may just be a matter of learning the map. Nevertheless, the map feels a bit too narrow for me, some doorways/passages seem to be thought for walking through them instead of bunny hopping. But the map has an interesting layout, I would have to see in actual gameplay how well connected the areas are.

I played it a lot and I can easily avoid bumping stuff, i learned the map.
(04-25-2012, 07:44 AM)Halogene Wrote: One little issue I encountered with a warp zone here, when lasering into it from downside:
[Image: tZGlidg]
O.K it is fixed.

(04-25-2012, 07:44 AM)Halogene Wrote: The doors from the strength to outside open only when you shoot at them first, for going in I see no problem but for going out this can be rather annoying (increased splash damage of many weapons with strength comes to mind).
You dont have to shoot the door, you have to wait 4 second to reactive it. it is the cost if you want to take the quad. 4 seconds give the time enought to others players outside to activate the trap.

(04-25-2012, 05:21 AM)Maddin Wrote: First I have to say this map seems to be like you worked a long time on it, very detailed!

But it´s definitely not suitable for Xonotic. The map is more a Singleplayer map than an arena. So gameplay probably won´t be that good in Multiplayer.
Lets try it on!

(04-25-2012, 05:21 AM)Maddin Wrote: One thing you can easily improve on your map is to clip (use "clip" brushes) everything that you don´t get stuck all he time.

Hummm.. I did where it was necessary, you dont get stucked if you know the map.

(04-25-2012, 05:21 AM)Maddin Wrote: Plus you used a "Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast" sound! Tongue Not very GPL friendly... Big Grin

Well, I found a sound in my old computer and I used the audacity programme to modified it. I took a little part then I splited the part in half. I reverse one of the part then I jointed both of them.
So I am verry suprised about your saying, May be you are right and it is not a problem to change this sound for something I will record. Apologize and thank you to tell me that.

(04-25-2012, 03:52 AM)Soelen Wrote: I love it too. But why are those shadows pixelated? Didnt you compile with Xonotic approved? D:
yes, I used the final, dirtscal 2... the second option.

(04-25-2012, 03:04 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: Well done! The map looks unique compared to others I've seen and has an excellent layout. I can tell that this is going to be one of those maps that plays very well and looks just as good.

Thank you, I worked a lot to get that. I think the same thing as you but I doupt the map will be accepted even if it is a good map.

Love the style! Very gorgeous map. I have a few criticisms though.

I'm average about 30fps, but it drops in the middle to 20 in some parts, and that's with no bots or other players! The only other dm map that drops fps for me like that is Aether. Can you make a lite version?

The room at the top by the rifle behaves like a portal. I don't know if this was intended, but the transition is ugly since you just kinda clip through the wall.

Needs a better name, imo.

Well, that's it for criticism. I just kinda ran around for a few minutes, so I might be back with more at some point. In the meantime, it's available on my server if people wanna try it out online.

Can we have this on a public server soon? I really want to see how it plays in public deathmatch, also duel.
My Xonstats Profile

Wait the beta03 version the map it slower than the others versions on my computer, I will compile it again and I will see where to add clip brushes as Maddin told me. I am sure it is a good map for duel or for 3-4 players. If an experiment mapper want to help me to optimize the map with hint brushes it will be appreciated and credited.

No need to add the rifle AND the nexgun at the same time.
Also: I dislike there barrels stairs ( you can design sth much better, use your imagination) and I think you can place mega health better (its too easy to slipp into the lava after taking it).
You definitely have to improove portals and the 'quakq like' portal in the botton of your map doesn't realy fit there.
I think you overdetiled this map a bit and too many colors kill the effect (on the other hand: Its unique and I like it) but in the end it spoils the multiplayer game (the best maps are often the most simple ones, with ideal layout)
I appreciate work you involved in this project and I think after fixing some issues it deserves to be offical Xonotic map on every DM/ duel server.
Well done

EDIT:
I would also think about the buton of the map (near the lava pool) where you placed grate. This looks bad imo. What about 'normal' floor?

Nice map, amazing levels of detail! The only concern I have is that the framerate is a little bit too low, but you say you'll compile it, so hopefully that will improve things a bit. If not, perhaps you could make a version that has scaled-down visuals (as W4RP1G suggests).

I wish mappers would focus more on gameplay than on adding as much shiny stuff as possible. I don't really see a concept in the changes you made compared to the original dm13 and adding a nexgun there is like adding one to darkzone. Plus the performance is horrible, you shouldn't expect everyone to have a high-end gaming machine. Beside of that I think you got talent and dedication which is what matters, but IMO you should focus more on playability to create a map which really gets played a lot all over the world.

(04-26-2012, 01:05 PM)Justin Wrote: think you can place mega health better (its too easy to slipp into the lava after taking it).

I think you are skilled enought to avoid slip into the lava, dont you? :-)

Do not worry all of you guys it is just a beta map, I ear all your comments and the map will be improved.

(04-26-2012, 04:46 PM)asy7um Wrote: I wish mappers would focus more on gameplay than on adding as much shiny stuff as possible. I don't really see a concept in the changes you made compared to the original dm13 and adding a nexgun there is like adding one to darkzone. Plus the performance is horrible, you shouldn't expect everyone to have a high-end gaming machine. Beside of that I think you got talent and dedication which is what matters, but IMO you should focus more on playability to create a map which really gets played a lot all over the world.

Hi Quaker, my point of view is It is possible to have a nice shiny map with a great game play.
But I'am not a real mapper I just have fun with the tool we have, I am still learning it
and also it is my way to contribute to xonotic.

About nexgun in that map, I am progresist guy and I like things change.
If you want to stuck on old things I can send you my original Q3A CD with the cd key sticky on the cover which I bought years ago, 1999 I think.
Thank you for your good words.

(04-26-2012, 03:30 AM)Halogene Wrote: Can we have this on a public server soon? I really want to see how it plays in public deathmatch, also duel.
It's on my server, even though it's too heavy for me to play :/

I gave a run of it run ... and ... i don't know what to think

1 I believe that your fundamental problem is style indecisiveness--

as I ran around I was running through brick wall areas ... then rock walls ... then lava ... then grates ... then more bricks ... then pipes ... then rocks again

the styling is inconsistent ... and it bugs me

I believe that the best style in the map is the one near the vertical warpzone ... with the bright walls and gold pipes ... I would like to see that style in more of the map.

2 How many warpzones are there ? running around on this map ... I got more lost then I was on glowplant before I discovered the warpzone(s) ... I like warpzones ... especially the vertical one ... but some of the others probably should go...

3 about fps ... xonotic handles particle / steam /smoke effects very poorly ... so I get a massive drop when I go near the steamy thing ... consider toning down the particles a bit

also warpzones are a fps killer ... i noticed you tried to hide them behind corners ... which is good in theory ... but idk if it really works

4 ... idk way everyone is complaining about getting stuck ... I can move fine on the map

5 ... also consider changing the color of the lava (gold lava ?)

This is a big map ... and it looks like a lot of work ... some areas look great (below the vertical warpzone) ... and that area where you can look down through glass and see lava falls ... but some areas need tough ups
running
keep up the good work Big Grin

Quote:About nexgun in that map, I am progresist guy and I like things change.
If you want to stuck on old things I can send you my original Q3A CD with the cd key sticky on the cover which I bought years ago, 1999 I think.
Well the original dm13 has been refined over the years and offers amazing tactical gameplay in duel. Your version offers running around and spamming weapons, if that's what you call progression I rather "stuck on old things".

woa somehow i have the feeling you cant work on certain maps, without making competitive gamers mad.

I personally would remove the rails they make moving around hard and they are also not good for the performance.

I don't know if you are making textures on your own, if so you could try this one http://archive.alienTRAP.org/forum/viewt...f=2&t=5960 to fake the pipes in the room with all the pipes at the walls. The background there has nearly no details, with some strong bumpmaps this should be possible.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Heart 
(04-24-2012, 09:08 PM)Leeloo Wrote: Hello, here a remake of the old quake3 arena map q3dm13,
I dedicate this Map to Apro a nice guy I played with on xono servers.

Thank you alot!Iam really amazed by what u have created there.Its an real piece of art.I totally enjoyed it to explore every aspect of the map.(and iam not sure if i really found all the little suprises u put in there Smile ).I cant help much on the technical side but I would love to help u with testing the gameplay and giving you some feedback Smile.

Keep up the good work !