Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Weapon damage

It probably has been discussed before, but I haven't seen the definitive answer.

Why the weapons do so low damage?

The damage from UT99 (go in Weapons section) is doubled/tripled respect the weapons in Xonotic.

I really like this game, but the weapons damage is "ridicoulus", the splash/radius too...

Are you trying to emulate Quake and Unreal Tournament arena? The damage must be increased. That's the point. I really love some of the concept of the games, could somebody post an answer?

I don´t think the damage is too low. You can easily frag someone with just a couple of shots in a few seconds. Think of a situation where you got an average armored player who gets damage:
Nex - Rocketlauncher - Mortar - and he´s dead in less than three seconds

Increasing the damage may unbalance the whole system including the use of items. It would become a sort of minsta game then and at least for me that´s the last thing which should happen.

If the damage is too low for you, then try the Overkill Mod (which is admittedly very popular). But even in vanilla gameplay you're dead in two shots from spawn, which can be comboed so you can accomplish that in less than one second (e.g. shotgun+Nex, Mortar+Nex, or almost whatever actually).

About the splash radius, yes, Xonotic has a lot of splash damage weapons with very high splash radius at times... or did you mean the radius is too low? o.O
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Ok, I don't like switching weapons in the middle of a close combat, it is a rare occasion and should not be the normal thing, IMHO.
Not for me

Weapon comboing is a core element of Xonotic vanilla gameplay (also see: Gameplay Tips). If you don't like that, then vanilla Xonotic maybe is nothing for you. But as I pointed out, maybe try a mod like Overkill, or check out minsta servers which also are very popular.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Thanks, but I will just get back to UT99

Good luck, have fun w/ UT99! As Halogene mentioned, weapon combos are integral to Xonotic gameplay. Yes - even in close combat, and in most situations.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

Well you can use only one weapon in a close combat too if you are good.
2 good rockets, boom dead.
Good Electro combo, boom dead.
Hagar secondary full load, boom dead.
2-3 Nex, boom dead.
(Unless opponent got super stack of course Tongue)

Yeah, I find that the sniper rifle has low damage points and that whenever you use ANY weapon against a spiderbot it doesn't affect it at all. You actually have to use another spiderbot just to kill one.

At the very least, if you guys could make it so that one of these weapons does some damage to the spiderbot, it would make the game alot more cooler.

all vehicles have a shield that you have to break to do damage to them. the design is not meant to let a solo player have much of a chance against a vehicle, but as you say use another vehicle to counter it. If you gang up and use some fast fire (hagar/mg/crylink) to suppress its shield regen and some heavy hitting guns (nex, rl, electro) you can take one down. but again the point is to have something more powerful than a player, so don't expect to do much good against one solo. or at least that was my design goal when i left active development, no idea if/how it changed now.

Haha, nope nothing has changed. It's a good idea actually.

Less damage == more skill since you need to hit more shots, on other hand, if weapons does a lot of damage then dodging and movement become more important. I personally think Xonotic has a good balance so weapon isn't too weak while people still stay in movement to dodge shots.

You hit the nail on the head machine! It´s pretty much that.

Actually if you look at CoD (don´t slap me for this Tongue ) the Hardcore mode (you are pretty much killed with one or two shots) has nothing to do with skill, it´s simply camping or who shot first. I noticed this very often: Hardcore mode was only about randomness whereas in Normal mode your actual shooting skills are more important (of course the gameplay is ruined by killstreak rewards, tubers, knifers, etc. but that that´s another topic which doesn´t belong here...).

In Xonotic I find myself very often in a situation though where I am unable to finish my opponent. Maybe that´s something which other players may also struggle with. Any tips from the pros?

(07-27-2013, 02:21 PM)Maddin Wrote: In Xonotic I find myself very often in a situation though where I am unable to finish my opponent. Maybe that´s something which other players may also struggle with. Any tips from the normal player?

Maybe stay away from such situations? Wink I don't think there is any trick to simply get out of situation when you're pushed back and basically fucked, but you can always try staying away from such situation by keeping stacked, try being in good positions, keeping in fast movement(although crylink might pwn you in this case).

Maybe you misunderstood me... I meant that I am in the position of the attacker.

Quote:In Xonotic I find myself very often in a situation though where I am unable to finish my opponent. Maybe that´s something which other players may also struggle with. Any tips from the normal player?
I guess that best option is to let opponent go, and circle trough map for items, the point is to starve your opponent and maintain your advantage. If your opponent want to regain control, he or she is forced to pickup items too, and in that point where you can use smart positioning and map movement to use your advantage.

In fact, I have the same problem as you, Maddin, and very often I am unable to execute this strategy, but I am pretty sure it's the right thing to do, instead of risking beating while your opponent retreats (probably to stack).
[Image: 12684.png]

(07-28-2013, 04:53 AM)Maddin Wrote: Maybe you misunderstood me... I meant that I am in the position of the attacker.

Ah, sorry! Tongue Well, in this case use weapons like Crylink, it's kind of its purpose. Also put yourself in awkard places so maybe you can cought him dead-on. Big Grin One thing I usually do is to take another way and go to the place where most health is since opponent will most likely run there, or to some place where he can hide/defend well(before he gets there, i mean take a different route).

I think Xonotic is perfectly balanced. At serious sam for example, almost all the weapons are overpowered, the oneshotyou at respawn.
at respawn you start with 100 health and 50 armor
rocket = 150 damage
grenade = 100 (has high rate of fire)
double shotgun = 140
sniper = 80 no scope 160 with scope
shotgun = 60
minigun = 10 for hits (has high rate of fire)
lasergun = 20 for hits (the only weapon that requires a bit of skill)
If you increase the weapon's damage, Xonotic become noob friendly and therefore will be ruined.
Sorry for my bad english.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weapon Balance Changes [PROPOSE/DISCUSS/REFINE] _para 2 1,793 03-19-2021, 10:43 AM
Last Post: _para
  [SUGGESTION] Updating damage indicator on damage instead of creating another indicator rafallus 1 2,116 10-07-2017, 10:48 AM
Last Post: Mario
  [SUGGESTION] XonStats weapon graphs regardless of past games played Antares* 1 2,666 12-21-2016, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Antibody
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon Balance and Presentation 2016 hutty 28 19,588 07-18-2016, 08:54 AM
Last Post: aa
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon model ideas - Post here! Beagle 7 6,050 04-09-2016, 02:11 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] Splash damage VISUALLY bleeding through surfaces Lee_Stricklin 5 6,763 09-20-2014, 07:04 AM
Last Post: tZork
  [SUGGESTION] Limited weapon slots & customizable spawn weapons MirceaKitsune 38 34,482 09-14-2014, 04:19 AM
Last Post: end user
  [SUGGESTION] Machinegun damage [AP]Sniperz 18 17,011 09-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Last Post: Mirio
  [SUGGESTION] per-weapon/vehicle camera toggling Lee_Stricklin 5 6,132 09-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Last Post: kammy
  [SUGGESTION] Share your opinions only on weapon balance! rocknroll237 67 52,128 02-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo