Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duel Mapping Contest 2015

Thanks Smilecythe for your feedback.

Rounded maps are really a pain in the ..., I don't know if I will ever do one again Confused

Item placement sure is not great since I'm still rather new to vanilla, especially duel.

The curvy stairs are actually mostly for visual purpose. I don't really expect ppl to use them. Replacing them with a jumppad would have left that room very empty and other stairs did not fit.

The beeb sound is triggered whenever you jump on the red or blue computer screen. With them you can change the destination of the teleporter between the red and blue corridor. The destination is displayed by the red or blue brush at the beginning of the corridor to the teleporter.

what do i use to create a map

(06-22-2015, 10:41 PM)qx1 Wrote: what do i use to create a map

netradiant
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

The last judge will be [Image: 51.gif] Smilecythe!

If I was making a map for this contest, could I possibly use previously made content? (Its all GPL) I'm talking here about models, brush structures, textures. These props might come from allready relased maps, thats why I ask.
Edit: It's not like I try to copy and paste half of the existing map! Its just minor details...

Sure Justin, that is permissible.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

(06-26-2015, 10:15 AM)Justin Wrote: If I was making a map for this contest, could I possibly use previously made content? (Its all GPL) I'm talking here about models, brush structures, textures. These props might come from allready relased maps, thats why I ask.
Edit: It's not like I try to copy and paste half of the existing map! Its just minor details...

What happenend to this btw?
If it fits just submit it too, as you guys can submit as many maps you like to.

Thanks Anti. I dropped that project, Mirio. At some point brushwork and performance became such pain that I decided to give it a break. Probably will finish after this competition. Did you know that working with Netradiant and testing is sometimes very annoying?... But overall Netradiant is the most powerfull tool for brushwork and will always be.

submission
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=4353
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=3812
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=2973
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

@Freddy, I'm hosting your map curvature_02 on "BuddyFriendGuy Fun Server" so you can get some feedback.

@Cortez666, this following link doesn't work (server not responding): http://ompldr.org/vZGw2OQ/fisume.pk3

Also, I'm getting this error for jasm:
Code:
MAPPER ERROR: teleporter does target an invalid teleport destination entity. Angles will not work.

(06-27-2015, 01:23 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: submission
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=4353
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=3812
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=2973

Aight, I was waiting for someone else to point it out, but I guess I'm only one not CBAing it. Before anyone gets excited about these submissions..

(04-23-2015, 06:30 PM)Mirio Wrote: Rules
  • The map must be designed for 1v1 (Duel) with XPM tournament settings.
  • All content used in the map must be opensource (GPLv2+), including the map source -- no exceptions
  • You are allowed to submit maps which were started before contest, so long as they were not released and of course are not remakes.
  • No remakes.
  • Put some Xonotic logos (for example see Fuse or Silent Siege)
  • You can submit multiple maps (even if not finished 100%)
  • No registration needed
  • To take part in the contest pack your map as pk3 and link it here in the thread

Cortez666, I remember the IRC topics. I know you're trying to make a point that the rules are vague and not elaborate enough, but it should be obvious enough that we want NEW duel maps that play adequately in competitive duel, OBVIOUS ENOUGH TO NOT NEED A POINT TO BE MADE OF. We don't want TDM maps, experimental space maps and especially above all else, stuff that was released years ago and never got popular enough within this particular game mode and turn out not worth of your own time to finish. Okay yeah, there's nothing wrong with experimental space maps, but JASM just is not a popular duel map and same goes for Fisume. They are just simply not good enough to be submitted as they are without any modification, we know this because they're not popular (in duel), sorry.

If you really don't want to make a map like you stated in first page then stick to that, just cut this smartass nitpicking shit out, will ya?

(07-03-2015, 12:45 AM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: @Cortez666, this following link doesn't work (server not responding): http://ompldr.org/vZGw2OQ/fisume.pk3

Also, I'm getting this error for jasm:
Code:
MAPPER ERROR: teleporter does target an invalid teleport destination entity. Angles will not work.
What I'm trying to say is, his submissions are disqualified. Don't bother hosting them in any contest map pools.

Although in the future more TDM maps would be awesome Big Grin
[Image: 38443.png]

(07-03-2015, 05:41 AM)Smilecythe Wrote:
(07-03-2015, 12:45 AM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: @Cortez666, this following link doesn't work (server not responding):
What I'm trying to say is, his submissions are disqualified. Don't bother hosting them in any contest map pools.

Thanks, Smilecythe. I was just providing a place for general feedback and test. I should probably post in another forum about this to avoid confusion.

I wasn't trying to make a contest evaluation server -- my server isn't setup for duels. I haven't played too many duels myself -- my skill level is still too low not to bore my opponent. Without enough experience, I don't think I can come up with the right setup for that. There are many good duel servers out there and I believe their setups are better for such purpose.

I do support this contest though. If there is a need for a server for such purpose, and if somebody can share the settings of a duel server with me, I can start one for this purpose.

Yeah, I was just suggesting that you don't mix up Cortez's "submissions" into any map list that you may put up for that purpose.

Quote:They are just simply not good enough to be submitted as they are without any modification
And Cortez666, what I said above does not mean you can rotate one brush in Fisume or any of your previously released maps and then submit it. My spider senses told me you were going for that next.

Hello, I made a thread for the map I'm working on: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=5609 (I didn't want to pollute this thread).

It's still in beta stage, I will try to finish it before the deadline Big Grin

Hmm. What weapons are allowed on the level? I am asking because there was weapon changes and it all got a litlle confusing. For instance: Can mapper add MG, Electro, Hagar on the map?
I think I will also compete. I have layout worked out allready and begin to place items... Good luck to all participants!

MG is a little bit too inconvenient weapon to be of significance in gameplay. It will be replaced by Arc someday I think and when that happens you'll have to rethink it's spawn perhaps.

Electro and Hagar belong to the core weapon arsenal, but it doesn't mean you have to make spawns for them.

oh now i need to start a map.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

I feel like the hagar doesn't get enough play compared to other weapons. More hagar please Big Grin
[Image: 38443.png]

(07-03-2015, 09:34 PM)Smilecythe Wrote:
Quote:They are just simply not good enough to be submitted as they are without any modification
And Cortez666, what I said above does not mean you can rotate one brush in Fisume or any of your previously released maps and then submit it. My spider senses told me you were going for that next.

that would be way too much work.

i would do it that way.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vnvtgyqyblcqa...e.pk3?dl=0

One more room, redone itemplacement and of course fully textured.

Are there any judges sheets for points that we could take a look at? Like the ones telling you how many points you can get for each aspect (gameplay, visuals, etc...) and what are the details that will be taken into consideration when judging? Could you guys elaborate how judging will look like and how long its gonna take?

(07-20-2015, 06:02 AM)Justin Wrote: Are there any judges sheets for points that we could take a look at? Like the ones telling you how many points you can get for each aspect (gameplay, visuals, etc...) and what are the details that will be taken into consideration when judging? Could you guys elaborate how judging will look like and how long its gonna take?

Quote: The maps will be judged by a panel of experienced duel players and/or developers on gameplay (70%), presentation (20%) and originality (10%).

Gameplay should be obvious.
Presentation is about the visuals, nice looking textures, models, colors etc.
Originality: Does the map contain elements, ideas that are not common and differ them from other maps

Judges rate each category with points from 1 (bad) to 10 (good) and they result in an overall rating.

Example: Gameplay 6, Presentation 9, Originality 4 would result in a 6,4 rating.

When every judge is done, we will calculate the average rating of a map as their final rating.
After that we will publish the results and all judgements.

I can't tell how long it will take, it depends on the amount of submitted maps.

(07-20-2015, 07:08 AM)Mirio Wrote: I can't tell how long it will take, it depends on the amount of submitted maps.

I guess atm it wont take long.

I made a map for the contest: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=5716

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FREE Invasion mapping contest Kotangens 2 5,856 12-27-2021, 01:25 PM
Last Post: end user
Lightbulb [Easy Community Contest]- Rank Yourself Ridgebeam 18 9,626 07-25-2021, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Ridgebeam
  Mapping contest for duel maps (idea) RazorDodger 10 4,230 05-30-2021, 10:10 AM
Last Post: SPLAT
  Xonotie Mapping Contest 2021 (winner: SirRanjid - vmmm) Antares* 28 13,893 03-04-2021, 03:10 PM
Last Post: _para
  Mapping contests participation Justin 17 20,987 12-08-2015, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  2015 Xonotic Soundtrack Competition BuddyFriendGuy 36 35,425 11-25-2015, 03:52 PM
Last Post: kojn^
Thumbs Up [concluded] Vote for 2015 Xonotic Soundtrack Competition BuddyFriendGuy 1 4,445 09-20-2015, 10:06 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Duel Mapping Contest 2015 - Brainstorming SPLAT 15 16,597 06-09-2015, 03:26 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Duel Mapping Contest (sponsored by Sapphire) asyyy 57 81,276 12-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Justin
  GlobalGamers CTF Mapping Contest Voting Samual 58 66,986 12-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Mario