Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DM]Red Xonotic version

The old version retextured for Xonotic. Maybe some more small dm maps are needed.

[Image: h58bffzoj23be9gtzs36_thumb.jpg]

Download: http://ompldr.org/vOWdneQ/Red_Xon.pk3
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

I like it Smile

noticed a missing texture:
you can watch into the rear lava pool

Isn't that red v2??

(07-14-2011, 10:13 AM)kay Wrote: Isn't that red v2??

yes but red V2 uses the old texture naming scheme and this one uses the new.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

I´m not sure about this map. It looks more like a Quake3 map than a Xonotic map. There´s just nothing special, no details.

(07-14-2011, 11:11 AM)Maddin Wrote: It looks more like a Quake3 map than a Xonotic map. There´s just nothing special, no details.

a) the layout is based on DM4, which means q1
b) it was made for the mapping contest from 2007
c) as i said above the map used the old the texture naming scheme. i updated it, so its playable in Xonotic.
d) gameplay is important, details arent

a, b) ok
c) good!
d) Gameplay AND detail are both very important. A map gets boring if there aren´t any details. Of course, details shouldn´t block the player, they shouldn´t be affecting the main flow of the map. But wouldn´t we implementing eye-catching details, maps would still look like in quake 1. For example the UT maps, they all have a lot of details that it makes playing this game just so funny.

(07-14-2011, 02:17 PM)Maddin Wrote: d) Gameplay AND detail are both very important. A map gets boring if there aren´t any details. Of course, details shouldn´t block the player, they shouldn´t be affecting the main flow of the map. But wouldn´t we implementing eye-catching details, maps would still look like in quake 1. For example the UT maps, they all have a lot of details that it makes playing this game just so funny.

Yeah...not really. Aesthetics has some form of importance in map making (I know this, I used make maps/currently working on one), but for the purpose of DEATHMATCH, gameplay should be the utmost important aspect. There have been so many maps made for nexuiz where aesthetics were of such high significance to the mapper that it became detrimental to gameplay on those maps. Of course, this isn't an original map, just re-textured, but when an original or ported map is created, it should be thoroughly tested to ensure that the gameplay is not only successful, but enjoyed. If you think about it, amazing graphics *USUALLY* has an affect on framerate, mostly dropping it. At that point, if you have a low frame rate, can you really play well on that map? As far as I know, nexuiz and xonotic's mouse input is pretty much frame rate dependent, meaning that even if you mouse accel off you will still feel a form of inconsistency that is not only noticeable but detrimental to your aim. You won't have fun getting owned because of "aim fail", and thus your "enjoyment" of the map declines. This isn't even taking into consideration any obstacles that might block certain areas or whatnot.

Anyway, back on topic....nice work. This map was fun on nexuiz, I wonder how it plays on xonotic...

I just wanted to say that boring maps aren´t fun to play. And fun is the reason why we want to play Xonotic, right? You may be right at some points but I can´t understand that "aim-fail"-thing. It´s possible to optimise the performance of a map with hint portals and such things, which I always do in my maps. A professional mapper is characterised by creating a map with great gameplay, high rate of detail and a good performance at the same time, not only one of these things.

Well, I guess what I meant by the "aim fail" thing is that if you have low frame rate you aren't going to play too well. I'm not denying the fact that aesthetics enhance the perception of the map, but at least in my opinion it certainly does not make or break a map. We can agree to disagree on that point...anyhow I have seen some of your work and it does look nice. Keep it up....just make sure to consider gameplay testing on some beta builds. =]

I aim for becoming a good mapper like I described it in the last sentence of my previous post. Rolleyes

We should get ontopic now. So the gameplay of the map is good, but still needs details.

Loving the painted concrete and brick textures, but you do have a few errors with the lava. I haven't opened up the pk3 yet but I know you don't tend to include map sources, and I would be willing to spruce this up (not as much as aether don't worry Tongue).

Oh, you did Smile thanks Smile

Wow, somebody really screwed up with keeping it on the grid... presumably the original author. I would have to start from scratch to do everything right.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [DM/CTF] Sirlent (Soylent remake) (added CTF version) _para 7 1,671 01-01-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: _para
  Checkmate 1.0 release version Julius 11 9,456 02-18-2019, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Julius
  Arboria (improved Xonotic version) MirceaKitsune 11 11,596 04-04-2013, 01:38 AM
Last Post: hutty
  [MAP] revtourney1-a2 (New version 06/09/2012) Revenant 6 6,872 09-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Last Post: asyyy
  [CTF]Hydrophobia final version Cortez666 24 31,524 06-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Last Post: Strahlemann
  Red Planet v1r1 MirceaKitsune 60 58,653 02-01-2011, 01:03 AM
Last Post: Cuinnton