Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 2.82 Average
Ask your questions about Xonotic here

"Monsterkill" is not quake but I doubt that UT media got released as public domain either. Maybe someone remade them?

Hi,

I should like to test the Xonotic client in work, but sadly have a http firewall in the way.

However, I have a perfectly good socks proxy I may be able to use, or I can pass the packets over an SSH tunnel (autossh is my friend for this).

Questions:

Which ports does xonotic use to retrieve information from the master server to query the available player servers?

Regards.

27950 UDP. But servers use a wide variety of ports, not just 26000. It all depends on the way the server is configured. Can't you use a wrapper to tunnel all the traffic instead?

From what I understood there is :

1 x server - master server: client queries for list of available game servers. UDP 27950
n x servers - game servers available. UDP 26000

I wish only to connect with my server, and also see it on the list of servers available so I think I should require tunnels for:

myserverIP:26000
masterserverIP:27950

Cannot think of a way of getting ssh to forward a range in one command. Do not think its possible.

I don't think ssh's port forwarding works like you think it does. It binds local ports, it doesn't capture outgoing traffic. You can use ssh as a socks proxy and tunnel all traffic through it using a transparent socks wrapper, though. You will need a wrapper because xonotic has no builtin proxy support, for obvious reasons.

Having a look at this list, I see servers with ports 26000, 26001, 26002, 26004, 26893, 26024, 26040, 26023, 26891, 24446, 24497... Unlike http and friends, there's no standard for the quake protocol. It's up to the server admin to use the port they find the most convenient.

BTW, there are several master servers but I think only the first one is used if it's up. In any case they all use port 27950.

All known master servers are queried sequential or even in parallel

But I don't understand what you try to accomplish here, once you say it's for a client
then you say you want a public server on the list.

Running a server through a proxy is probably not really gonna work and I wouldn't recommend doing so,
especially for a public one.
If you run it through a tunnel, whats the point anyway. You still need a tunnel exit server.
More problematic will be dropped packets and additional netlag with all the packet encapsulation, en/-decryption and such.
I would assume it becomes pretty much unplayable there.

There is a little confusion.

I have my own server in a data centre, & and this is not the subject of this thread.

It is my own client on my PC that I wish to tunnel to a server. (being two different geographically separate bits of kit). However, since I onlt wish to connect with my own then I should only have to tunnel packets to my own server from my PC.

Anyway, looks like I'll just push everything though a socks proxy. Far easier.

Oh. If you want to connect to your server, ssh bind a local port of your client to your server's port 26000 and in the client's xonotic console type "connect localhost:xxxx" where xxxx is the local port you bound to 26000. No need for master servers or anything else.

Perfect. Exactly what I want to know.

Thank-you.

I doubt ssh will work for this, as this game uses UDP and SSH can only forward TCP.

You will rather need something like OpenVPN for this.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

Right. Or we need to go deeper into the wrapping.

(04-12-2012, 07:05 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Right. Or we need to go deeper into the wrapping.

Nah.. SOCKSv5 proxy. Dante is pretty reasonable.

There was a server in australlia that worked on some code to add monsters to xonotic, what happened to it? Did they ever finish the code? Will they ever contribute it so we all can have monster hazards in our maps? A zombie apocolypse mutator would be grand.

What happened to the new sniper rifle model from LJFHutch?
[Image: Xonotic+Sniper+Rifle+Mdl+30.jpg]
(note to rifle haters who claim it will be removed any day now: there is now a "fun new weapons" mutator because of you. Those of us who like to have fun weapons enable that, while you can choose not to enable that and don't have to be bothered with the existence of other weapons)

http://ljfhutch.blogspot.com/2011/05/xon...rifle.html

It's done and textured and all and LJFHutch said on his deviant art page
"Yeah I'm not sure what happened with that, I'll have to check with the guys again and make sure they have the files."

http://ljfhutch.deviantart.com/

Anyone know where the files are?

looks like we misplaced yet another weapon model ...

also the rifle is NOT going to be removed ... it is diffrent enough from the nex to have its own place ... also on newtonian nightmare it is un-replaceable ...
also also ... the nex is actually a better candidate for removal ... cause all it does is shoot and zoom ... not very exciting ... the only thing going for it is it's legacy

The only other weapon that has a chance of being removed is the HLAC ... which is starting to prove itself as a good midrange anti vehicle weapon ...

so... what exactly is in this fun weapons mutator?

Fun weapons mutator is where all the weapons the luddites hate and want gone go so it doesn't annoy them, Then us people without that mental block enable the fun weapons mutator and have all the weapons again.

LJ's email is: sam AT ljfhutch.com
Someone ask him for the models etc so they can go into git please Smile A dev.

(04-19-2012, 09:15 PM)hutty Wrote: the nex is actually a better candidate for removal ... cause all it does is shoot and zoom ... not very exciting ...

Can't say I agree that the camping rifle is more exciting than the Nex. Aside from the incredibly unimpressive alt fire, it does nothing more than any sniper in any other game. Even the model is about as generic as it gets. And it's not even powerful. I laugh when I hear the announcer say "headshot" because in almost any other game, that would mean instant kill. And I don't think the reload time fits with the rest of the game. I hate the reload on the MG too, I usually use it until the reload and then switch guns.

I personally believe the Nex charge up time adds more depth and sets it apart from being a Q3A rail gun clone, which is nice. The model looks cool too.

Also, is it not possible to give the nex it's own ammo?

That's why I run my own settings/mod. Nexuiz and xonotic settings == pillow fight.

I have a questions beacuse I'm new here Smile

How can I duel with a friend on this beautiful game? Public servers are full of BOTs. How can I invite a Desura friend in a match hosted by me?

sorry for bad English.

Thanks

The bots will disconnect when you join the game. Wink But if you mean the [BOT] clan, those are actual players. Wink Also there are about five duel servers in Europe, I´m sure you´ll find an empty one!
- exile´s 1on1 - #1, #2 and #3
- cloony´s duel server
- etc.

Thanks Smile

Another question xD
The problem is that I ping 300-700 on server u wrote on the post. So how can I host and invite friends?

(04-20-2012, 08:58 AM)ThEf0x Wrote: How can I make sure that other players can not join during a duel?

if the server is set to 1v1. only 2 players are allowed to play, which means you dont have to do anything
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Meh, I'd rather see this:

http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...2#pid35392

Quote:Can't say I agree that the camping rifle is more exciting than the Nex. Aside from the incredibly unimpressive alt fire, it does nothing more than any sniper in any other game. Even the model is about as generic as it gets. And it's not even powerful. I laugh when I hear the announcer say "headshot" because in almost any other game, that would mean instant kill. And I don't think the reload time fits with the rest of the game. I hate the reload on the MG too, I usually use it until the reload and then switch guns.

If you pull consistent headshots, you'll have higher dps with rifle than with nex. But that could be solved by introducing headshots to nex and rifle would be redundant (maybe copying alt rifle onto nex as well, so those who like it won't complain).

(04-20-2012, 09:11 AM)Cortez666 Wrote:
(04-20-2012, 08:58 AM)ThEf0x Wrote: How can I make sure that other players can not join during a duel?

if the server is set to 1v1. only 2 players are allowed to play, which means you dont have to do anything

I ping 700 on that servers. How can I host and invite friends? thanks Smile

where are you living that you get such a high ping?

anyway this should answer your question regarding a 1v1 server http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=2805
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Your Favorite Maps cushinga 6 1,626 03-14-2023, 08:26 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
Rainbow What's your favorite color? Or which color you use in game? Kotangens 1 1,177 09-01-2022, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  FPS Showdown - Go submit your best frags! Smilecythe 4 4,392 02-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Antares*
  Why is your server empth 24/7 slowtwitch 10 8,001 06-27-2016, 10:37 PM
Last Post: end user
Information We want your help Samual 35 34,826 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Leroy
  Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? unfa 147 153,090 06-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Last Post: Wii-Wii
  WoX-BloX needs your help! CuBe0wL 14 11,455 06-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Here's my fair share Scorpion 8 8,130 10-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Last Post: PGP_Qz
  Pythonistas, please raise your hand Dokujisan 13 10,687 10-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Spyroviper
  ITT: post your WASD teams 9 10,671 06-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin