Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metal

Any Metal fans out there playing Xonotic? If you are, what subgenres do you lean more towards and what bands do you like? I personally lean more towards Old School Death Metal and am a huge fan of Morbid Angel, Death, Entombed, Asphyx, Monstrosity, Suffocation, Deicide, etc.

I like Death metal bands such as Necrophagist and Spawn of Posession. Thrash metal bands such as Slayer and Exodus. Industrial/techno metal bands such as Front Line Assembly and RTPN.

I also produce techno metal myself: https://soundcloud.com/smilecythe/skirmish03

I think the best part about metal is definitely shredding/solos and am in general not a fan of djent like stuff or heavy metal that is "heavy" only because the bass is all the way up lol.

Not a huge music fan but I do love me some metal. I lean more towards metalcore with my favorite bands being Parkway Drive, A Day to Remember, Bring me the Horizon, and Wage War. Parkway Drive in particular gets most of my attention for their newer album Ire which gets political in a lot of it's songs. Destroyer, Crushed, and Writings on the Wall are good examples of such songs.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

\m/
[Image: 21975.jpg]

Quote:“To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.” - Douglas Adams

(06-12-2017, 04:29 PM)Smilecythe Wrote: I like Death metal bands such as Necrophagist and Spawn of Posession. Thrash metal bands such as Slayer and Exodus. Industrial/techno metal bands such as Front Line Assembly and RTPN.

I also produce techno metal myself: https://soundcloud.com/smilecythe/skirmish03

I think the best part about metal is definitely shredding/solos and am in general not a fan of djent like stuff or heavy metal that is "heavy" only because the bass is all the way up lol.

Pretty good stuff man! I love Spawn of Possession btw, and have seen Slayer and Exodus a few times too

Been listening to metal since before Metallica jumped the shark and went more mainstream with the Black album. Even managed to see them live before that happened (Ride the Lighting tour), and I live in Australia! Had a break from metal for a while, but got back into it about 5 years ago.

Don't seem to have a specific genre that I like. I like all sorts. Still like the old stuff, but also the new. Thrash, Death, a bit of Doom, it's all good. Big Grin

Currently really getting into Gojira, though Bodycount's latest, Dimmu Borgir, Mastodon, Arch Enemy and Iron Maiden are also somewhat high on my rotation atm.

FWIW: Part of getting back into metal was all due to Sam Dunn's "Metal Evolution" doco.. so much I chipped in some cash to help them make their Extreme Metal ep, and got this poster in return. Wink
[Image: 20170613_103559.jpg]

Also been finding that watching the BangerTV reviews have introduced me to a lot more music that I'd not have considered listening to, but that I find I really like. Definitely a breath of fresh air that's great to have and avoids the usual echo chamber effect you get from listening to the same stuff all the time.
[Image: 21975.jpg]

Quote:“To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.” - Douglas Adams

(06-12-2017, 08:39 PM)cefiar Wrote: Been listening to metal since before Metallica jumped the shark and went more mainstream with the Black album. Even managed to see them live before that happened (Ride the Lighting tour), and I live in Australia! Had a break from metal for a while, but got back into it about 5 years ago.

Don't seem to have a specific genre that I like. I like all sorts. Still like the old stuff, but also the new. Thrash, Death, a bit of Doom, it's all good. Big Grin

Currently really getting into Gojira, though Bodycount's latest, Dimmu Borgir, Mastodon, Arch Enemy and Iron Maiden are also somewhat high on my rotation atm.

FWIW: Part of getting back into metal was all due to Sam Dunn's "Metal Evolution" doco.. so much I chipped in some cash to help them make their Extreme Metal ep, and got this poster in return. Wink

Also been finding that watching the BangerTV reviews have introduced me to a lot more music that I'd not have considered listening to, but that I find I really like. Definitely a breath of fresh air that's great to have and avoids the usual echo chamber effect you get from listening to the same stuff all the time.

I watch BangerTV a lot too, along with Infidel Amsterdam. I disagree with Sam Dunn sometimes but he's definitely a diehard Metalhead.

(06-12-2017, 04:29 PM)Smilecythe Wrote: in general not a fan of djent like stuff or heavy metal that is "heavy" only because the bass is all the way up lol.

Well.... that's where I come in. Big Grin

Been listening to metal since I was a little kid and still do to this day. That includes all genres actually.
Some of my favorite bands are Architects, Erra, Ill Niño, Periphery, Slayer, Thy Art Is Murder and Whitechapel. 
I do appreciate older metal like Iron Maiden, Anthrax, Pantera etc. but I don't listen as much to it.

(06-12-2017, 08:39 PM)cefiar Wrote: Been listening to metal since before Metallica jumped the shark and went more mainstream with the Black album. Even managed to see them live before that happened (Ride the Lighting tour), and I live in Australia! Had a break from metal for a while, but got back into it about 5 years ago.

That poster is awesome, would love to have something similar. I'm a big metal fan myself, have been since I was 12 when I first heard AC/DC's Back In Black in the Iron Man movie. Will have to check out this BangerTV show. Btw, amazing that you got to see Metallica during the Ride The Lightning days!

I'm mostly into the classic stuff: Maiden, Sabbath (saw both of these bands earlier this year), Judas Priest, Saxon, Megadeth, Metallica. Not really into anything heavier than Slayer but occasionally I like a bit of the heavy stuff! Also really dig the big 4 grunge bands and hard rock bands like GN'R (who I'm seeing this week in London!), Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Thin Lizzy, Led Zep, etc.

I don't listen to metal much, but there's something I like about it: the fuckin' bands' names.
There are sooooo metal-esque everytime, this is so cool. In fact, we could make a game: "Metal band name or way to die?".

Should be a band with Instagib name, though.

(06-13-2017, 06:09 AM)hox3d Wrote: I don't listen to metal much, but there's something I like about it: the fuckin' bands' names.
There are sooooo metal-esque everytime, this is so cool. In fact, we could make a game: "Metal band name or way to die?".

Should be a band with Instagib name, though.

I think every way to die was turned into a band name at this point lol.
Suffocation, Asphyx, Disembowelment, Prostitute Disfigurement, Devourment, Dismember, Slaughter, Gutted, etc. THE LIST CAN GO ON FOREVER!

(06-12-2017, 10:05 AM)DeathHammer Wrote: Monstrosity
I'm pretty sure that's a Xonotic map.

(06-14-2017, 04:16 AM)gd Wrote:
(06-12-2017, 10:05 AM)DeathHammer Wrote: Monstrosity
I'm pretty sure that's a Xonotic map.
Okay, new game : "Metal band or Xonotic map ?"

I used to be a closet metal head. It started when I was 14 and heard Iron Maiden for the first time. Run to the hills, it blew my mind. I'm more into old school punk and hardcore now and since forever, but I still enjoy me some Brujeria or older Sepultura every now and then.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

Amazing. As usual.

I used to listen to Metal too, mostly Heavy Metal (→Judas Priest), True Metal (→Manowar), Melodic Death Metal (→Amon Amarth) but also the usual stuff like Metallica and AC/DC (less Metal more Hard-Rock I know) and some Old-School Bands from the 80's. My preference was always more towards the melodic songs though, Hammerfall and Machinae Supremacy come to mind.

Somehow, a couple of years ago I stopped listening Metal and discovered Liquid Drum'n'Bass / Liquid Funk, and I have no idea how that happened. Big Grin You can actually see how it shifted in the What Am I Listening To thread. Probably this post by Mr. Bougo got me hooked.

... listening to Hammerfall - Hearts on Fire right now. Big Grin The memories...

Me and my girlfriend were lucky enough to be in the front for Parkway Drive's Cincinnati show recently. Same show that was captured in this video on someone's youtube channel. Walked out of there with the last Wage War Blueprints LP and get it signed as well. If there's one thing cool about metalcore not being mainstream here, it's that these bands will rent out smaller venues and generally become more relaxed and very much into what they are doing. Not only that, through some serious chanting, the crowd was able to get them to play Bottom Feeder (they intended for Crushed to be their encore, but we just wouldn't shut the hell up lol Winston was about to fall over before deciding with the rest of the band to go ahead and play it). Damn good show, not quite as good as what they were when I first saw them open for A Day to Remember a year prior (They used Ire as their set list, during which they played so good that their recordings sound vastly inferior in comparison), but still nothing short of awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giucHsmW...ZrjBnIxORm

Here's them when they were in Peoria (the first time I saw them). Person recording only got a little bit of them because things got crazy lol and probably because they went for ADTR (who were headlining the tour).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINmmDI7FUI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQEe7ryDNiI
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Speaking of metal, I did a "Very Metal Announcer" mod in 2013. It's a bit garage quality tho.

PK3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xbxynikiok6xub...2.pk3?dl=0
MP3 compilation: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4kmhu0pwv90bbr...r.mp3?dl=0

I'm a metalhead, but my favorites range from "moderately popular" to "obscure". I mostly listen to melodic death metal (favorites being Blood Stain Child, Children of Bodom, and early Ensiferum), various types of power metal (usually Sonata Arctica, Dragonland, and Galneryus), and a WHOLE LOT of black metal, usually the "epic" or "symphonic" style (like Apotheosis, Carach Angren, or Limbonic Art) but the raw "2nd wave" and the middle ground "melodic" styles are good too.
There are also some outliers of what I like that don't fit in to my usual preference. Wintersun, X Japan, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Wilderun, Ghost (probably the most normal of them all)...I could go on some more as well. I make it a point to try and look for different kinds of metal and more obscure bands, just to expand my horizons and see if something nobody knows about can already 1-up my current picks.
I swear there's probably something witty I could put in here, but it's going over my head right now.

Heart 
Uh hello fellow metalheads |..|,
Even though reviving an old thread I'd like to throw some goodies into the mix as I'm myself constantly looking for new bands to add to my playlist.

Here's the video that introduced me to metal and the whole world beyond the 70', 80' and the best of today way back in the 6. or 7. grade:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWf1ihNkEtw
(Dragonforce - Through the Fire and Flames)

Yeah those swedes are amazing. I mean eastern europe power metal in general :3
[Hammerfall] -power metal
[Sonata Arctica] -power metal
[Sabaton - Saboteurs] - (heroic) power metal (fav song)
[Apocalyptica] - i dont even know but they are gods
[The Rasmus] -is it metal?
[Nightwish] -symphonic power metal

And even though not understanding a single word I think russian fits perfect in this genre:
[Arktida (Арктида)] -power metal

And heres the rest I like and know and love:
[Rammstein] (-fav band) - indutrial metal
[Disturbed] - heavy metal  
[Evanescence]
[Five Finger Death Punch]
[Papa Roach]
[Emigrate] (singer = member of rammstein)
[Marilyn Manson]
[Dope]
[Bullet For My Valentine]
[Slipknot]
[Linkin Park]
[Rise Against]
[Nirvana]
[Tool] - progressive metal
[RHAPSODY]
[Serj Tankian]
[Dropkick  Murphys]

You were just so lucky that only 1 video per post is allowed if you hate scrolling.

So I kept the structure for reference and put everything in a playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73XIZ5I6...CQsdEnMDwV

Saw this thread on google and had to check in. 

Some of my fav bands would be Megadeth, Dissection, Old Man's Child, Dimmu Borgir, Iced Earth, old Satyricon, old Sepultura, Limbonic Art, etc....

Also check out my own black/death solo project!

\m/

Haiduk
[melodic blackened death metal]

New Albu\m/ – Exomancer

Check it out

I'll just leave this here....

erebus minstanex erebus Angel

From metal and heavy on my phone/player now:  Botch, Converge, Deafheaven, Lurker of Chalice, Mushroomhead, Napalm Death, Oathbreaker, Paradox, Thy Catafalgue

https://hooktube.com/watch?v=mXzCPgf4C-E

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diabolica [metal] haiduk 0 2,789 06-02-2022, 02:16 PM
Last Post: haiduk
  Top 5 Black Metal Albums 2005-2015 SnowblindPariah 1 5,475 10-01-2017, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Paingwin
Music Backside Front is now on YouTube - remember "Heavy Metal"? unfa 1 4,261 09-09-2013, 02:18 AM
Last Post: satuim
  Instrumental/Industrial metal song by me and friend Smilecythe 7 7,360 12-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe