It sounds good, definitely a good base to work on. So, yes, I like it!
Do you work with LMMS? If so, could you post the project file (or at least send it to me)? Then I could say you which things fits and which doesn´t, things to improve, etc. Anyway great work!
I wrote down several things which needs to be improved. Don´t be sad that I criticise so much, it´s like mapping. People say "Oh that´s bad, delete that!" and you actually spent hours and hours of work on it, which makes you pretty much depressed. Live is hard... Try to make the best of it!
I changed the beats per minute to 150 and it sounds better. Heavy Metal is often very fast you know?
- Marker: What´s this? Do I have tinnitus?
- Dirty Lead: I really like this one!
- Impulse: This doesn´t fit, sounds too techno-like.
- 1. ... : This basic basses sound good but the claps aren´t "Heavy Metal"!
- Clone 1. ... : Not sure about this beats, they sound... like, eh... rubbish. (Sorry for that! )
- Metal Pad: This is nice to create a sad atmosphere (which should be done), but it´s not good to create major modes, minor is the way to go here.
I repeat myself, but nevertheless the Unreal Tournament 2004 soundtracks (the KR ones) are really great references, trust me! Not that your tracks are bad but they sound more... metal-like. (hard to explain)
- tempo changed from 140 to 143
- Impulse instrument changed
- Clone of 1... beats changed to a faster, more full and fluent beat
- Pad's chords are now more complicated and harmonics should be OK now (not off the key, though it still might be present somewhere)
- Hihats got a second BB track with much louder hits - used to emphesize rhythm and add dramaturgy.
- second pad is now more present in one area where it adds a very nice atmosphere.
- looping ending is now more dramatic and has a short period without the kick and snare action (which is present through the whole track)
- sub bass (Fat Bass) is now present in more parts of the song where the lowest frequency range is a bit empty. Shuld add fullnes and energy to the track.
- some minor changes to the arrangement.
Marker is a track I use only to see where the loop points should be. Normally I mute it for track export and solo it for exporting a marker "track". Then I load both into audacity and place loop points at the marker tones transients. It works great. and takes out the "where should I place the loop point" dilemma.
Wow! This is a great improvement! Really strong basses and the Drift Bass Pad is one of my favourite beats! Maybe you could use it more often and lower the volume of the Impulse? It (the Impulse) is way to loud, my stereophones distort which isn´t a good sign because it´s a high-quality Sennheiser!
The Metal Pad (sounds like strings) are also very nice for filling the track and creating atmosphere, I think they should be used more frequently too.
Maddin: I think that good things can be overdosed and they can turn boring if so. That's why the most cool transition I made in this piece is heard only once Things like this are memorable and don't have to be repeated. At least I think so
Ok, this version could be the final one I think, everything fits. There´s only one thing I´m not sure about: the ending is very inapplicable. The whole track should create a loop and this one abrupt beat at the end is just out of place.
(07-27-2011, 03:00 PM)Maddin Wrote: Ok, this version could be the final one I think, everything fits. There´s only one thing I´m not sure about: the ending is very inapplicable. The whole track should create a loop and this one abrupt beat at the end is just out of place.
Did you listen to the track using LMMS's loop?
I've set it so the end is a short buildup before the first riff, and I think the loop works great like this and not only sounds seamless but also sustains the dramaturgy of the composition.
I hope I didn't misplace the loop markers for some reason... If so - look at the Marker instrument track and place loop point at beginnings of the regions the Markers is playing. Should work.
Apart from that - I'm glad we're moving on and this seems to be finished soon.
I´m using the LMMS loop, yes. But I have to set the markers (those green arrows) to the right position, so at the beginning and at the end of the track. Well, your idea is good but this one short beat at the end doesn´t achieve it very well. It´s the only thing now with which I´m not happy, everything else is great!
08-02-2011, 03:40 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2011, 04:25 PM by unfa.)
A new track I've made. May fit some little, tight, funny-looking map. Or whatever you want. Features some drums, bass and distorted leads with TrippleOscilator, interesting stereo effects, djembe drum loops (I've recorded them specially for this one). And some sounds of ripped material just for fun and character.
If anyone wants to have this one, I'll loop it and deliver sources.
A huge track ranging in fell from ambient to dubstep.
It's total time is 23 minutes, 20 minutes in loop (roughly speaking).
It starts up light, and gets darker over time, then gets up at the end and loops nicely (has loop tags for Xonotic).