Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[WIP][DM]ContactII

A small dm map. Early version. Names comes from my previous map ContactI, as I wanted to duplicate the style, but I came out with something different as result. Unlike ContactI, it has got weapons on it. Feedback is wanted.

Download!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

"Unlike ContactI, it has got weapons on it."

This made me smile Big Grin

Will check it out!
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

your pk3 file doesn't have the right structure

you have now this:
contactII.v1.alpha.pk3/contactII.v1.alpha/maps

while it should look like this:
contactII.v1.alpha.pk3/maps

one folder too much, if you know what i mean Wink
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

Aha, was wondering why it wasn't working, was trying to check it out. Good call kuniu.

Fixed here: ContactII.v1.alpha.pk3

Looking good!
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
Announcer mic check and forum thread.
http://soundcloud.com/voodoo-electron

Sorry for the extra folder and thank you for fixing it. I changed the link in the top post for your one.

The main thing I want to know is if it is too tight and I should widen it, and if it should be mirrored?

It seems tight to me, but I kind of like it. The design is really nice in my opinion too, nice feel. But I'm a beginner-caliber player, I think more experienced players may have a different opinion. One thing that stood out to me is that some of the ramps looked a little obvious compared to the way a lot of maps seem to have them, where they're more discrete and you have to use your xon senses to nose them out. Just an observation, might not be an issue, just thought I'd mention it. Definitely a sexy map in the making though.

Ya it's too tight. I'm not a veteran but it definitely feels way too right just by jumping around on it with my fairly newbie movement. Try changing path widths to 160 or 192 maybe. 128 is too small, maybe only use that path width for a highground.

I also think that is too tight, running around I feel cramped.
somewhere

[Image: 1840743-BYYXIP4.png]
The map feels tight mostly because of this spot (and it's geographical opposite). The entire map could use a little scaling, but this specific part is still too tight in comparison to rest of the level be it on 2x or 4x scale.

Not sure how to illustrate my idea. Sorry if these pics make no sense, I just got inspired!

[Image: 1840746-M4Z52BA.png]
Firstly the bridge has to go, as well as the the room tightening it up near mega health/armor. My idea is to tear the space down to the ramp level on the lower left, from where you could also pull out a jump to where the mega health is if there wasn't stuff blocking the way. The platform above the ramp (where's machine gun and crylink) should go too. There's more new open space now!

[Image: 1840747-ZYR8EMR.png]
Maybe?

[Image: 1840748-1QRHXEC.png]
Move the ramps in the middle around a bit, would be cooler to make the jumps this way.

Teleporters on the yellow floor textured area could also look a little bit like teleporters, I kept laser jumping myself out there because I didn't know there was teleporters.

(09-16-2013, 02:52 PM)C.Brutail Wrote: This made me smile Big Grin
You wish!

WOW! Awesome concept! Big Grin A symmetrical map with asymmetrical weapon layout is a cool idea for a DM map. The implementation of the concept though is quite bad scale wise, visually it looks great but it is unplayable in its current state.

Some rules I usually follow to keep my maps in scale: 3 units wide and 2.5 units tall for normal corridors(using the default grid size). 2 units tall and 2 units wide for small corridors. Rooms should at least be 4 units tall.

Thank you for the scale!

Here is a new version. I changed one of the mega areas, It is much more spacious now. Trickjumps are now not so obvious.

Download: http://ubuntuone.com/39F6cltrRlIHGJOby5BQ8M

Looking really nice! Only got to play it for a minute or two before I got stuck in this room, is there no way out if the door closes behind you? Also noticed it looks like there's an issue with the door, the texture flickers on and off. Screenshots:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4067...155-00.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4067...155-01.jpg

I hope this is helpful, nice work!!

Hey, aa! Its good you are doing some mapping. You definitely are doing great. Map is much better from its previous version (Contact 1) and I am really happy you improving so fast. Now: It would not be constructive criticism if I ended my post here, so...

Whats cool:
  • good style: Strong improovement from the previous map. Good details!
  • Structures are interesting (those glass windows look nice)
  • you don't use any light enteties, only shaders, which is good. But slightly overused in your case.
  • Symmetrical layout after breaking became better and has better flow.
What can be improoved:
  • The biggest issue is definitely scale. You should try to expand corridors not only in width but also in height.
  • Some of the ceilings are dangerously low, you can hit those at higher speeds. Try to jump around your map quickly and you will find what I mean.
  • There are some spots that are incredibly bright and some very dark.
  • Reduce the usage of light shaders! You put too many of those in the middle.
  • Mega health pickup is difficult to achive with a trickjump, due to low ceiling.

Here are the screenshots I made to show main problems:

[Image: hey1.jpg]
Here you should do some clipping on the bumpy floor. Too many light sources as well.
[Image: hey2.jpg]
Difficult to get onto a mega platform.

[Image: hey3.jpg] [Image: hey4.jpg]
These two screenshots were done on EXACTLAY the same settings of brightness. The conclusion is obvious: Move some of the lamps from the right to the left corridor.

[Image: hey5.jpg]
-Little bug there

The map itself looks rather bland. You should make it more unique looking and give it some decorations. Ambient sounds go a long way as well.

I haven't seen a map that looks like mine before.

Another bug:
[Image: 2imaxxu.jpg]

(09-27-2013, 05:33 PM)Justin Wrote: Difficult to get onto a mega platform.
Made you an instruction, dude pal guy!
[Image: 2u3y0x3.jpg]
Or you can just laser jump

Or also use left ramp to jump to the niche on second foto and then BOOM! ur there. But that;s the tricky one, made it only two or three times.

PS> Smile, whats that strange thing about your screeneis?

Made a quick vid of some of the tricks:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1d4byvx8erm2u0/contact.wmv

(10-01-2013, 10:20 AM)aa Wrote: PS> Smile, whats that strange thing about your screeneis?
That's how the game looks with 16 colour depth mode + 640x480 res.

Am I the only one that got stuck in that room or saw the door flicker from solid to invisible from my post above? Maybe it was an issue on my side?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug [WIP] Aquanica Z(Rus) 15 7,907 12-22-2020, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Z(Rus)
  [Duel] bmn1_b2 (WIP) Beemann 11 7,880 05-27-2020, 02:04 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [DUEL] Graphite (WIP) t0uYK8Ne 15 9,500 05-01-2020, 07:12 PM
Last Post: samiam
  [WIP-b4] KOLOSSUS _para 12 5,754 10-09-2018, 05:13 AM