Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Compiling Xonotic in Windows

There is a new wiki page with detailed instructions on how to compile Xonotic from Git in Windows:

http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/...in_Windows

If you have questions related to this process, ask them here :)

This is pretty cool, it should be linked on the top level of the website imo. Atm people who come here for the first time will search everything for a d/l link and be confused cause there is none (at least that's what happened to me).

Maybe there could be a link "The Game" ==> "Downloading & Installing Xonotic" to a page explaining that Xonotic isn't ready yet but that brave people can install the current development version by following this wiki page.
spirit
my FPS maps

The bravest will find this topic on their own, I'm sure Smile

And for the others I count on my fellow community members to direct them here.

(06-29-2010, 01:19 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: The bravest will find this topic on their own, I'm sure Smile

Followed instructions to the letter, it almost worked for me.

I get to the point of compiling in MSYS, and it's giving me a gcc: command not found error. The binary is located in c:/MINGW/bin so it's all installed, seems some path isn't being set somewhere?

(06-30-2010, 12:42 PM)Irritant Wrote:
(06-29-2010, 01:19 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: The bravest will find this topic on their own, I'm sure Smile

Followed instructions to the letter, it almost worked for me.

I get to the point of compiling in MSYS, and it's giving me a gcc: command not found error. The binary is located in c:/MINGW/bin so it's all installed, seems some path isn't being set somewhere?

Nevermind, seems the msys/mingw installation borked.

Yup, this is probably caused by a wrongly set up MSYS. The file /etc/fstab contains the path to the mingw install, it is created during the post-install process where the user answers a few questions. If it does not work, you can either fix the file in a text editor supporting Unix line endings, or re-install MSYS and go through the post-install process again.

Hi, I'm new here, but I was a long-time Nexuiz player.
This is my first repository-compile ever, and I'm a little shaky. Why does running the XonPatch give me the following error?

Code:
C:\msys\1.0\xonpatch\setup.sh: line 155: curl: command not found

I'm assuming it has something to do with the way I installed mingw, because it seems like shell commands have to be translated by MinGW. I've already checked my fstab file, and it correctly lists the location of MinGW as well as msysgit. I did NOT, however, complete the post-install, and had no resulting pi.bat file.

pi.bat does not result from the post-install procedure of MSYS, but rather initiates it. Since you already applied the xonpatch, I suggest (but please read the rest of this message before getting started) you completely remove msys from your system (uninstall and check that c:\msys was removed), reinstall it, complete the post-install (that's very important) and then xonpatch it.
Beware: uninstalling msys will quite likely remove the contents of the msys directory, and that includes the xonotic git clone! If you don't want to redownload everything, move the "xonotic" directory outside of c:\msys\1.0 before uninstalling MSYS (move it to c:\xonotic for example, that will save you some disk I/O and time too). Just move it back inside c:\msys\1.0 after MSYS is reinstalled.
You can't really run the postinstall after xonpatch, as it will probably make one change too many in the fstab and it can get tedious to explain how to fix that... The easiest and cleanest way is what I said above Smile

Now, for curl! I designed xonpatch in that weird way that relies on the presence of not only msys and mingw, but also msysgit. Indeed, the base packages of msys and mingw do not ship with curl or wget, which means package downloads can't be automated... Fortunately msysgit comes with curl, so I use that one to download the additional MSYS packages the xonotic install needs, such as wget or unzip (actually it doesn't need wget anymore, but it did at the time).
You'll need a correctly set up MSYS+mingw (that includes MSYS post-install), as well as a msysgit install. Xonpatch takes care of linking those two: it looks in program files; and if it doesn't find msysgit, prompts the user until git.exe is found. From that point curl.exe should be accessible as well.

tl;dr: uninstall msys (make a backup of the "xonotic" directory inside of it if needed), install msys, (move the xonotic backup in place if you made one), make sure the post-install runs smoothly, and apply the xonpatch

Please post again if it still fails Smile

403'd. Also, do you have any tutorial for compiling the game under Windows' Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications?
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

Your "403'd" sure could be a little more specific, I have absolutely no idea what you're saying denied your access.
Also, for Microsoft's SUA you're on your own... No way I'm diving into even more crappy designs without gaining any real advantage from it Tongue

(10-07-2010, 11:01 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Your "403'd" sure could be a little more specific, I have absolutely no idea what you're saying denied your access.
Also, for Microsoft's SUA you're on your own... No way I'm diving into even more crappy designs without gaining any real advantage from it Tongue

403'd means that earlier on I had the "403 + 403 when looking for the error page" message. It's fixed now.

For the SUA, I've read some help files. It's good for posix and bsd, but it doesn't say it can do linux, too. Knowing Microsoft, I'd be better off by waiting for the optimized beta... Because the beta will be optimized... right?
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

"Do linux"? What of Linux do you want to "do"?
Technically all you need to fetch and compile Xonotic is a shell, base shell utilities, curl, git, unzip, a CC, and make is optional if you don't mind doing some more manual work. I doubt microsoft's stuff includes all of those, except for the CC which is certainly not the one from GNU Tongue

Thanks to you, Mr. Bougo, I am now happily compiling. All Xonpatch files downloaded and installed correctly after reinstalling msys. I think I entered the wrong path to MinGW the first time. There sure are a lot of warnings when compiling...

Don't murder me guys for this post, please...

Honestly, I don't understand what the heck this thread is about. Do you mean I have to do all the above to get the game installed?

I DL'd the files last night and extracted. I see no .exe file to play the game. Sorry for my putz noobness here...

Help, please. Be respectful, as I'm really old.

I use Win 7 64 bit.

Thx, folks...

We won´t do any harm... Tongue

There are three ways to get a playable game:

- The plain version you get when downloading from the main site: http://www.xonotic.org/download/ This is the last recent stable version and includes all files you need. Just unpack it and run the right executable.
- The autobuilder: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=1863 The package includes a script which downloads a daily build into a sub-folder, good if you want the newest stuff.
- Using git to download the source and manually compile it: http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/...in_Windows Only recommended if you are a developer or want to become one. Otherwise don´t use it!

Per another thread here where I double-posted this (don't kill me for that... Smile), I was told to use the 'Xonotic-x64-sdl.exe'

Correct?

Correct. If you got some problems with that executable ingame then try "xonotic-x64-glx.exe".

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Windows 10 -basedir problem BlazedRasta 4 4,046 03-21-2023, 07:34 PM
Last Post: AlexVelasquez
  [SOLVED] Trouble unzipping cygiconv-2.dll on Windows 7 (0.8.5) papa 3 4,345 10-19-2022, 05:01 PM
Last Post: mrhip
Bug [BUG] strange checker pattern in the middle of explosions on Windows 10 fabzor3 2 2,541 09-23-2020, 08:38 AM
Last Post: fabzor3
  [NEED HELP] Compiling on Elbrus DJs3000 1 1,581 07-03-2020, 04:57 AM
Last Post: poVoq
  [NEED HELP] Netradiant compiling? Raxno 2 3,017 11-11-2017, 04:50 AM
Last Post: It'sMe
  [NEED HELP] video glitches in netradiant on windows 10 fabzor3 2 2,941 05-26-2017, 02:09 AM
Last Post: PinkRobot
  [TUTORIAL] How To Migrate accounts! (Windows) shanajer_ 1 2,179 03-06-2017, 06:09 PM
Last Post: -z-
Sad [NEED HELP] Help with compiling. ImSoAwesome 2 3,009 09-06-2016, 02:54 AM
Last Post: ImSoAwesome
  [NEEDS INFO] Apparently this game hates Xonar cards running under Windows 8 Lee_Stricklin 4 5,418 09-20-2014, 05:33 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SOLVED] Locating Config file in windows 8 Racoon 3 5,205 02-09-2014, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo