Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TDM] 4Forts

I bring you another map! This one is a remake from muderball2002 by Chris Thorsten(site) made for Team Fortress Classic.
The map was made for team based keepaway. Xonotic lacks this, but I think the map is also fun as a TDM,TF,KH,DOM map or even non team based game modes like keepaway.
I stayed close to the original layout, centered around 4 teams. Here are some screens from the original:

[Image: 9twyF.jpg] [Image: Dhvhj.jpg] [Image: eiHXe.jpg] [Image: 9NGIf.jpg] [Image: ghhWN.jpg] [Image: qNPaa.jpg]

And here is my take on it:

[Image: cMn1v.jpg] [Image: RRn2M.jpg] [Image: MlAx7.jpg] [Image: ANrGZ.jpg]

Maybe I'll add some small details later, maybe not. Who knows Smile
There are some problems:
  • The grade on witch you stand (on the 4 towers) can only be shot through from 1 side.
  • The terrain is made from a simple patch mesh, I don't know if this is the way to do it but there are some artifacts. When you are standing on a bunker and you walk against the wall you can see through it on some locations.
  • The teleporter is supposed to send you to 1 of the 4 towers randomly, however it doesn't do this.
  • Game modes key hunt and freezetag don't seem to use info_player_teamX but use info_player_deathmatch instead. Maybe this can be changed to prefer the team player start locations?
  • If I come up whit something else that I don't know how to fix I'll add it here.

Hmm, not really sure if there is anything more to say...
Enjoy!

Attached Files
.pk3   4forts.pk3 (Size: 6.54 MB / Downloads: 21)
Skyward Fire

Hmm, well, what should I say? You just started with mapping right? So can´t say that it is bad...Blush

(08-29-2011, 05:04 PM)O.I.B. Wrote: [*]Game modes key hunt and freezetag don't seem to use info_player_teamX but use info_player_deathmatch instead. Maybe this can be changed to prefer the team player start locations?

Afaik, only ctf and onslaught use team spawns (and assault ofc but it doesn't use red/blue).

I'm not quite sure why you used a warpzone where you did, that room should be big enough...

Already told you what I know about the random teles...

If you want you can link info_player_deathmatch spawns to domination points, so that only people who own it can spawn from those points. I did this in SG-X if you need an example.

Currently these modes have team spawns:
  • tdm (if g_tdm_team_spawns is 1)
  • dom
  • ctf
  • assault
  • onslaught
  • race
  • nexball

If you feel that a mode is missing, feel free to submit a feature request on the dev tracker. It's a trivial change but it probably needs discussion as of what the default behaviour should be.

(08-29-2011, 06:10 PM)Maddin Wrote: Hmm, well, what should I say? You just started with mapping right? So can´t say that it is bad...Blush

Tongue Yeah, second map. Probably my last map for a while since school is on the horizon.

nowego4 Wrote:I'm not quite sure why you used a warpzone where you did, that room should be big enough...
Already told you what I know about the random teles...
If you want you can link info_player_deathmatch spawns to domination points, so that only people who own it can spawn from those points. I did this in SG-X if you need an example.

I used a warpzone because I didn't know how big I was going to make that room, and It was easier than building a room inside the ... thing.
I'll take a look at your map for an example Shy

Mr. Bougo Wrote:If you feel that a mode is missing, feel free to submit a feature request on the dev tracker. It's a trivial change but it probably needs discussion as of what the default behaviour should be.

I don't think thats needed, since xonotic maps normally don't use a team "base" anyway because of the fast gameplay.
Skyward Fire

Could you please make this map also compatible for ons? It looks like good map for ons, and ons really needs more maps, it's not even playable on any votable server, the server says: gamemode does not exist, I ghink that's because it doesn't have any maps.

Off topic:
(08-30-2011, 03:13 PM)Mepper Wrote: Could you please make this map also compatible for ons? It looks like good map for ons, and ons really needs more maps, it's not even playable on any votable server, the server says: gamemode does not exist, I ghink that's because it doesn't have any maps.

ons works fine and there are maps available that support ONS...

If the server sends the message: "gamemode does not exist" ... then the gamemode does not exist

just added ons as votable command to my server... and works Tongue

Does it?!?!?

Yay! Thank you! I'm gonna test that!

<3 the precise shadows here. Did you lower the lightmap resolution in shader, or did it globally?
Try and experiment with those hi-res lightmaps further, they might work nicely in some in-door places. For instance, on this map I placed several light sources under "fenced" stairs while lowering lightmap scale on nearby walls and ceiling (you can see some results on second and 6th screens). Tell me if you need some help with shader params.

(09-09-2011, 04:51 PM)Lord Canistra Wrote: <3 the precise shadows here. Did you lower the lightmap resolution in shader, or did it globally?
Try and experiment with those hi-res lightmaps further, they might work nicely in some in-door places. For instance, on this map I placed several light sources under "fenced" stairs while lowering lightmap scale on nearby walls and ceiling (you can see some results on second and 6th screens). Tell me if you need some help with shader params.

I didn't change anything to the lightmaps, since I have no idea what it would do (or how I would do it).
I may add support for ons and remove the warpzone, but other than that I'm probably not going to make maps in the near future.
Skyward Fire

Interesting map, can you add CA (and DM I guess?) to the gamemodes? Smile

Sometimes when I get pushed through a teleporter I lose kind of a lot health. I guess the jumppad push thing is too much. :o

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [DUEL, DM, TDM] Canal ballerburg9005 3 606 02-20-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Baker
  [DUEL, TDM] Mid air remix Kotangens 3 1,589 10-09-2022, 03:29 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [DM/TDM/CA] Stone Sea _para 1 1,632 03-18-2021, 04:52 AM
Last Post: Winsalot
  [DM/TDM] Spacebash derrant 2 1,745 08-02-2020, 04:44 AM
Last Post: derrant
  [DM/TDM/CA] C-Pit R4 _para 6 2,904 06-06-2020, 10:14 AM
Last Post: _para
  [TDM] Space Men! Mario 3 3,841 10-29-2016, 05:30 AM
Last Post: thearcoN
  [CTF/TDM] New map ruinctf (insta/vanilla) kwakkiezalf 2 3,144 07-17-2016, 02:31 PM
Last Post: kwakkiezalf
  [TDM]Voll aufs Maul FINAL Cortez666 37 44,086 02-13-2014, 03:10 PM
Last Post: zykure
  [TDM] Grudge Debugger 2 4,730 07-31-2013, 04:32 PM
Last Post: kammy
  [TDM] Minigrudge Debugger 3 4,705 07-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo