Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brainstorming: Powerup Models

No language/cultural symbols like that, that's unrecognizable... Without the context of this thread, I would have absolutely no idea what it is. It has to be more identifiable -- like, a plus sign is recognizable to people as a medical symbol internationally.

Check this out, it has to be something like this (but for video games Big Grin): http://www.aiga.org/symbol-signs/

Another example: http://image.yaymicro.com/rz_512x512/0/1...155217.jpg

Wut about something like this?

http://content8.flixster.com/rtactor/40/...26_pro.jpg

apparently according to soelen's earlier post ... I could somehow be the new powerup ....

hmm.....

anyways ... seeing as you mentioned the healths and armors all look like they have practical uses ... why not make strength a power cell?

I'm thinking something between this

[Image: T2E0AAW1-6.jpg]

and this ...

[Image: Battery.png]

(10-08-2012, 12:23 AM).Danny. Wrote: Wut about something like this?

This is the image you linked to...

[Image: 40826_pro.jpg]

Was that intentional?

@hutty
And then megaerebus turns into electroman? Smile

[Image: ElectroGreen.jpg]

If this is really what this thread has turned into already, may I suggest a pink robot?

Edit 1:

Ok then... seriously.

Strength: a nucleus with electrons spinning around it.... suggests nuclear power of some sort and would look kinda nice in 3D I should imagine. Especially with a firey orb around it that's emitting flames every now and then.... impossible to model you say? Aw.... Anyway I picture this on as red/orange/yellow in colour.

Shield: a shield. No, I don't know. Something very different from the Strength, because the Shield will give you a .... shield(?)... inside of which is peace and calm and.... well all that. So a blue-ish appearance and very slowly spinning (or bobbing?) would do the trick there.

In other words, Strength and Shield as fire opposed to water.

Further ramblings:

I completely agree with anyone and everyone who is willing to agree with me on this, that the Nexuiz symbol should not be used anymore. Even if it does not have any legal implications I think that's something from the past.

I am also opposed to using the logo and the Phoenix for everything. I am glad we can all agree on that too. Over-branding is a classic marketing mistake. It will too easily turn into a gimmick. You will even have a hard time convincing me that the logo should be present in the maps themselves for example. Maybe in a tutorial map of some sort. Website and other promotional material, splash screen and/or menu, that is where it should be and in not many other places Wink. I'm not expecting the company's logo inside a can of beans either.

What I don't get though, is why powerup items need to have an intuitive appearance. Could someone explain that to me? OR would my idea of fire/water qualify too? In which case, I suddenly applaud this. How things can change!
Otherwise, it will quickly become banal and childish. I mean, a clenched fist... Even if you make it less like a cartoon fist and more 'cool' looking, however you would do that in this case Tongue Why can't we just have a Super Cool Looking Thing and have people associate that with Strength or Shield over time?

Edit 2: In my defense Samual, I had started to write my edit before you posted that message right below me :p
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

Here's how I know you guys are useless: You didn't post in this thread until it became derailed with non-serious ideas. Big Grin

http://tinyurl.com/5r4t5ew

i'd suggest this as a new model. easy to make no changes needed.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(10-08-2012, 12:54 PM)Samual Wrote: Here's how I know you guys are useless: You didn't post in this thread until it became derailed with non-serious ideas. Big Grin

Bullshit.

4 derailed non-serious posts

24 serious posts preceeding de-rail

(10-08-2012, 12:46 PM)PinkRobot Wrote: I am also opposed to using the logo and the Phoenix for everything. I am glad we can all agree on that too. Over-branding is a classic marketing mistake. It will too easily turn into a gimmick. You will even have a hard time convincing me that the logo should be present in the maps themselves for example.

Agreed.
I like your (serious) suggestions for strength too.

EDIT: 5 off-topic posts now.

(10-08-2012, 10:42 AM)s1lencer Wrote:
(10-08-2012, 12:23 AM).Danny. Wrote: Wut about something like this?

This is the image you linked to...

[Image: 40826_pro.jpg]

Was that intentional?

Well she is an important icon...

I still think strength should be some sort of orange glowing power cell

shield could be a full set of Armour ... that is blue ... and glowing

Good one, Pink Robot! I like the idea of a nucleus for strength for these reasons:

1) recognizable as something power-related
2) distinct from our phoenix logo
3) able to be simplified for simpleitems
4) not ambiguous
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

(10-09-2012, 08:15 PM)Antibody Wrote: Good one, Pink Robot! I like the idea of a nucleus for strength

This would mean that we would have to come up for a new icon for superweapons. The current one is the warning symbol for ionizing radiation, and that could be confusing.

I actually dont like the idea of a nuclious .... what do you do with a giant floating nucleus ... there is no clear way on how it could help you ... It would have worked back when healths were floating pluses ... but now it just doesn't fit ....

also ... simple items can do what it wants ... this topic is about the actually pretty model that potential new players see ...

Yeah, a nucleus for strenght looks good for me.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

I think hutty's idea might be the best.
He has a point about the other suggestions not quite fitting.

Go make some sketches hutty!

For the strength powerup we could use something like this:
[Image: Massei-DNA.004.jpg]

Quake use it for "regeneration"
[Image: Regen_3.png]

Or we could split the helix of the dna and fill it with a pulsating "Plus"
For imagination exchange the red balls with a red pulsating plus in the following picture:
[Image: doppelheilix.jpg?lenya.usecase=scale&width=200]

Or better we combine all together the caduceus with a dna helix splitted and in the middle a pulsating plus (or Red Cross)

Damn it bothers me that Quake 3 already use this symbol Sad

I have found other good pictures of the caduceus:
[Image: spera-logo-01-660x400.jpg] [Image: G2000069-Artwork_of_DNA_base_codes_and_g...ol-SPL.jpg]

[Image: k10008529.jpg] [Image: stock-vector-medical-caduceus-sign-capsu...189476.jpg]
The mind is like a parachute, it only works, if it is open!

Halogene will definitely support this!

Strength is a weapons power-up though, having amazing genetics doesn't make your nex beam stronger.

maybe for shield? idk

(10-11-2012, 10:01 PM)s1lencer Wrote: Strength is a weapons power-up though, having amazing genetics doesn't make your nex beam stronger.

maybe for shield? idk

I see your point. For me it is more like: enhanced genetics to be stronger to have more power to make more damage.

What about making an icon with a simple explosion and a damage multiplier "x 3" (damage x 3)? This should be simple enough to be understood by everyone immediately.
The mind is like a parachute, it only works, if it is open!

(10-11-2012, 03:02 PM)rocknroll237 Wrote: Halogene will definitely support this!

Huh?

I haven't bothered to make myself an opinion about powerup models, I don't really care about the model... we could even have yellow rubber ducks as far as I am concerned...
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(10-12-2012, 12:43 AM)RaptorFX Wrote: What about making an icon with a simple explosion and a damage multiplier "x 3" (damage x 3)? This should be simple enough to be understood by everyone immediately.

You mean "x $g_balance_powerup_strength_damage", don't you? This is a server configuration variable, it might be different from 3 on some servers or in the future.

Good stuff RaptorFX! Let's do less criticizing and more brainstorming from now on! Keep those ideas coming folks. Go wild, focus more on your ideas than other people's ideas, pick, choose, combine and give us some quantity! Use a picture or paint a picture.... brainstorm!

* PinkRobot : good cop - bad cop by day, IRC motivational speaker by night.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

Nuclear muschroom cloud
http://bit.ly/RlAD5o

Hand with Lightning
http://bit.ly/RTACbz

If Samual really wants a fist then why not something like this?
[Image: project-lightning.jpg]

For shield I really like the idea RaptorFX suggested.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Editing Pick-Up Models NoClue 3 1,196 11-25-2022, 06:17 AM
Last Post: NoClue
  List of Free/GPL Models & Programs AllegedlyDead 7 14,336 10-26-2021, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Dares
  How to import Weapon Models? NoClue 6 3,502 12-23-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Julius
Brick New Shotgun and Uzi models MirceaKitsune 6 4,174 07-17-2020, 01:18 PM
Last Post: _para
  [NEED HELP] NetRadiant Models Not Working 3agle427 7 5,398 06-26-2020, 11:40 AM
Last Post: DarkFox
Rainbow [NEED HELP] Player models. Import to blender, export to xonotic. Snekky 1 3,726 04-19-2020, 09:16 AM
Last Post: DarkFox
  [NEED HELP] Texture problems in MD3 exported models (Quake 3) xLuca91x 9 6,723 03-31-2020, 03:13 PM
Last Post: xLuca91x
  Renamon & Krystal player models MirceaKitsune 37 60,031 12-12-2019, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Mario
  Seeking artist for new character models MarisaG 0 2,306 10-12-2018, 05:25 PM
Last Post: MarisaG
  Request for Models Cortez666 6 7,378 07-14-2016, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Cortez666