Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!?

Just found this out by a friend linking me to it. Looks like we are getting a new Quake! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa-6fQyNkZo

You mean a new Overwatch? Big Grin
LoverTaleb

Hype Mode Activated: Please be on Linux...

[Image: 586.gif]

Dead on arrival if they don't ditch this class based horse shit
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

I'd be fine with classes as long as the movement, health/armor and weapons are equal for all characters. If the character abilities were defined by stuff similar to Team Arena powerups (stuff like Quad/Haste/Medkit/Personal Tele basically), then I wouldn't mind them on team games. None of that crap in Deathmatch/Duel pls though.

EDIT: They should just straight out do it the Team Arena way, fuck this hero bullshit.

Honestly I'm not even surprised they pulled this stunt. Theres no way a company like Bethesda is gonna commit resources on an old school Quake remake and expect to make any sort of reasonable profit. They have to find a way to appeal to both sides of the coin. Who knows, maybe it'll be fun... even if its just for nostalgia
[Image: 38443.png]

They can not make a "real" Quake reboot, cause it would be way too hard for causal players which should be their main target to make monies from that project.
I guess this is only happening as DOOM was successful for them and they're just trying to milk the Quake franchise a last time.

A character with wallhack ability? Please fix .. Sad
@Smilecythe: I'm pretty sure that characters that look heavy will have more armor and a character like Nyx might be fast but less armor. Such crap will be there.

(06-13-2016, 02:27 AM)Beagle Wrote: Hype Mode Activated: Please be on Linux...

It's from Bethesda, so NOPE. Sad

If you can turn textures off, if you can put fullbright models, if it has Aerowalk and if Sarge has a cigar in his mouth then I'll consider buying it.

(06-13-2016, 07:38 AM)Mirio Wrote: I guess this is only happening as DOOM was successful for them and they're just trying to milk the Quake franchise a last time.
A character with wallhack ability? Please fix .. Sad

Seeing those abilities in the trailer, I predict that it's an attempt to get on Overwatch train in Quake coat. Everything adds up.

(06-13-2016, 11:46 AM)Maddin Wrote:
(06-13-2016, 02:27 AM)Beagle Wrote: Hype Mode Activated: Please be on Linux...
It's from Bethesda, so NOPE. Sad

Indeed that's not happening. See QL for rather extreme example.
[Image: OYvkngZ.png] I'm woky on IRC.

(06-13-2016, 05:29 AM)SPLAT Wrote: Theres no way a company like Bethesda is gonna commit resources on an old school Quake remake and expect to make any sort of reasonable profit.

release on a console?
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Bethesda - taking good franchises and fuckin them up hard since...

Don't think this sort of thing will ever work. Not with arena games. Not in the next 20 years. I think It is possible to make a rather normal and truthful game from Quake of they took up the Quake 2/4 line with the human/strogg conflict, but those one are not exactly arena games, so once again, success is limited.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

(06-13-2016, 01:06 PM)Cortez666 Wrote:
(06-13-2016, 05:29 AM)SPLAT Wrote: Theres no way a company like Bethesda is gonna commit resources on an old school Quake remake and expect to make any sort of reasonable profit.

release on a console?

I believe its PC only
[Image: 38443.png]

(06-13-2016, 12:45 PM)Smilecythe Wrote: If you can turn textures off, if you can put fullbright models, if it has Aerowalk and if Sarge has a cigar in his mouth then I'll consider buying it.

What about if it didn't have Sarge with a cigar in his mouth, but a Mossepo model with a cigar in his mouth?

I'd definitely buy.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

(06-14-2016, 06:32 AM)kojn^ Wrote: What about if it didn't have Sarge with a cigar in his mouth, but a Mossepo model with a cigar in his mouth?

I'd definitely buy.

its a Quake Champions, so the best you will get is a model of Chi... Champion_The with the d... dart in his a... abs.
[Image: 62200.png]

They better make this on Linux and Mac just like all the other Quake games. If they don't, then they are a failure.

(06-14-2016, 06:40 PM)Beagle Wrote: They better make this on Linux and Mac just like all the other Quake games. If they don't, then they are a failure.

Suprisingly Doom 2016 hasn't had a Linux port yet.

Copy paste from ESR:

a)All classic quake modes including 1vs1
b)Picking up all weapons
c)Timing all items
d)Maybe more focused on Team vs Team for e-sports
e)No way its gonna get released for consoles - maximum performance and capabilities
f)Taking opinions from veteran/pro quake players, some testing it themselves (quake lab)
g)120hz unlocked fps- strafe/rocket jumping and air control (already known)
h)Classic arena style quake game with the addition of champions

2 reasons to be still suspicious.

no gameplay shown & no aerowalk ^^.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Thanks Smilecythe for the video! They really should have added those informations in the first place when showing the teaser trailer, then people wouldn't be so suspicious. Big Grin To me this sounds good, it's probably the right direction they are heading to.

The Former Quake 3 Announcer has something to say to you.

(06-16-2016, 03:05 PM)Smilecythe Wrote:
Copy paste from ESR:

a)All classic quake modes including 1vs1
b)Picking up all weapons
c)Timing all items
d)Maybe more focused on Team vs Team for e-sports
e)No way its gonna get released for consoles - maximum performance and capabilities
f)Taking opinions from veteran/pro quake players, some testing it themselves (quake lab)
g)120hz unlocked fps- strafe/rocket jumping and air control (already known)
h)Classic arena style quake game with the addition of champions

Hah, maybe this won't suck after all... I mean Doom 16 SP (the part id had a hand in) was quite good, and these are all good signs.

But it's possible the non-heroes mode will go dead in both competitive and non-competitive arenas, and then we'll be screwed.

As for aerowalk, I kinda hate aerowalk. But that's just because I haven't gotten good at it yet ;-).

And as for the obvious lack of linux, seeing as Dave Taylor (id's one mad linux guy - Carmack hated linux) has long since packed up, the use of opengl and vulkan means that wine will probably be able to run it with little to no overhead, just like Doom 16.

I don't like using Wine, no thanks. Wine = Lack of Fps for me.

I've gotta feeling it's gonna play a bit like NTF (not team fortress) in CPMA, except with pickups. And as much fun as it is in CTF, it's not a consistent setup that works for duel/dm as well. Team games will end up playing very different in QC, pretty much no matter what and that's gonna be uncharacteristically inconsistent for a Quake game.

this looks very interesting and even the word CHAMPIONS made me stuck. They could send me a key for their close beta coz I've become strong in FPS arena genre.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quake 3 mod for Minecraft neXus 2 590 02-20-2024, 02:09 AM
Last Post: Frombleasome2004
  Made a Quake Champions frag video check it out zeroql 4 4,825 08-31-2017, 09:06 PM
Last Post: SilenceKiller
  [NEED HELP] Quake maps in Xonotic Kriss7475 2 6,055 04-01-2017, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Kriss7475
  Quake 2 Railwarz instaGib CTF!!! Games 7 nights a week! bind key +hook for lazer hook MajorLazer 7 11,485 09-19-2016, 05:34 PM
Last Post: MajorLazer
  Which Quake 3 Client should I use? Beagle 6 8,364 07-18-2016, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Beagle
Star Serenity recreated in Quake 3 engine Greaserpirate 3 11,346 06-11-2016, 11:50 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  We can pretty much declare Quake Live dead Lee_Stricklin 21 24,722 05-31-2016, 03:36 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
Photo A History of Quake (Xonotic Briefly Mentioned) qwertyuiop924 1 4,206 05-30-2016, 06:49 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Craziest Quake Setup SPLAT 6 10,387 06-23-2015, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  Article about Quake on a lan party frostwyrm333 1 5,488 02-23-2015, 04:44 AM
Last Post: Halogene